Temporary sanitation

Dave31410

Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2018
Savannah, GA
Our pool was basically completed today, but the electrician will not be here until Thursday (tenatively) to hook up the pump and SWG. The pool is still filling. I feel like tomorrow I should go get a floating puck holder and some dichlor tablets to put in until everything is working. What do you think?

How do you plan to sanitize the pool routinely? You can add liquid chlorine, aka plain, unscented, unthickened, non-Cloromax type bleach too. Just be aware that chlorine is a consumable product in the pool and requires re-dosing daily to every other day, based on testing.

Adding pucks now will give you both chlorine and the necessary stabilizer CYA, but if you depend on pucks only over time you'll have problems from over build up of CYA. Early on though it isn't a bad idea....just plan ahead for a better way once your pool is maxed out on CYA. PoolMath up at the top of the page has a section on determining how much you can add.. like x ounces of pucks will give you y amount of CYA. Then switch to the other method (Salt Water Chlorine Generator or Liquid chlorine).

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Do you have a reputable test kit yet?? I personally prefer the TF-100 as the reagent amounts work better for the way we dose pools. The other good one is the Taylor 2006C (the C version is the closest comparison to the TF-100). Check out the TF-100 at: PoolSupplyWorld.com or at the source : TFTestkits.net or Amazon.
Both use the same Taylor reagents, so no worries there!

Got pics to share for the new toy!? We love us some pics!!

Maddie :flower:

I would just add liquid chlorine and brush the pool. I wouldn't use a puck floater without any circulation to distribute the chlorine. Without a pump running it will probably park itself against a wall and you could have bleaching of the liner if the floater sits in one place all the time. Mine used to get stuck behind the ladder and it did bleach the liner in that location.

I would just add liquid chlorine and brush the pool. I wouldn't use a puck floater without any circulation to distribute the chlorine. Without a pump running it will probably park itself against a wall and you could have bleaching of the liner if the floater sits in one place all the time. Mine used to get stuck behind the ladder and it did bleach the liner in that location.

I like this post a lot, though for a slightly different reason! I've never used pucks and have a different kind of pool, but I had a bad run in with CYA (which is a major ingredient of pucks) and won't ever add it into my main body of water ever again, in any form. The stain I have is still there, a year later. Solid CYA into a sock into the skimmer for me. So wait until your pump is running before you add anything with CYA in it.

+1 for liquid chlorine only and brushing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.