Tampa Bay, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
We were looking at getting our pool resurfaced due to some delamination happening. Feels like bubbles in the surface when I step in a couple areas. However, the pool market here (Tampa Bay, FL) is crazy right now. Talking about months of lead time for many places. We were talking with a guy that seemed promising, but just got a text message that his partner booked five(!) pools and he can't take any more jobs. Also, the tile we had ordered with him was apparently picked up by someone else cash in hand, and we're not sure we can even source that tile anymore...

Anyway, the pool has been left feral for a few months due to the pump not being able to pull enough water. Also related: The filter cartridge is housed under the skimmer, in the ground. Importantly, that means it's *before* the pump instead of after. I assumed it couldn't pull enough water because the main drain clogged, but maybe I was wrong? I tried to use my Pool Blaster to vacuum it, and pulled out a lot of what looked like dirt and silt. One guy I've had out for quotes thinks it was possibly plaster dust.

So I'd like to have someone come out and just drain and clean the pool, so that we at least don't miss the season, while we try to navigate the crazy. Is there anything we can do while it's drained to help protect the more heavily delaminating areas?

Welcome to the forum!
Draining the pool could easily make the plaster start to fall off. Especially if all ready compromised. Also, in Florida, draining a pool has significant risk of floating the shell.
I suspect your water chemistry has caused your plaster to fall apart, and that is what you found in the main drain.
I would think redoing your plumbing and adding a proper filter would be also on the to do list.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks mknauss.

I would not be surprised regarding the chemistry given the reading I've already done here. I tried to keep up with everything, but I relied on a local non-chain place for tests beyond simple pH and chlorine. I think they're relatively high quality. It's always the same guy, and his family is in the pool business. He even helped me rebuild my pool motor for cheap. But you never know. I'll be picking up one if the recommended high-quality test kits.

If I don't drain it, is there any method of clearing the main drain? Or is that likely not a problem for the water flow? There's only one pipe from the pool to the pump, with no valve. So somewhere on the line is where it's being split. All I know is that the pump didn't seem to be able to pull enough water, so I turned it off to keep it from damaging itself by running too dry. That was a couple months ago, so the water in there is pretty bad now.

The pool should run fine with out a main drain. Your skimmer line should be sufficient to feed the pump. Be sure the filter is clean as that will directly effect how your pump operates.

Ok. Might try buying a new filter cartridge. It's a few years old.

Just one last question. If I do uneventfully drain it, would it be worthwhile to attempt to remove and patch the one or two really bad spots in the plaster? To borrow a stock market saying, my biggest fear right now is that this current pool market can stay crazy for longer than my budget can stay sane. As far as I can tell, as of now we don't have any leaks or anything. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I'm not trying to buy a decade or anything, just enough time to get a professional out to resurface.

Patching is possible, but it will be unsightly. Small areas may gain you a short amount of time.
Other members can provide more guidance on the patch aspect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.