Temporary closure?

Oct 18, 2018
New Orleans
Hi! I live in New Orleans and do not want to close my pool at all, but we are going away for a few weeks and my house sitter is not as enthusiastic about pool maintenance as I am, and I'm sure he won't be getting in. My main concerns are :

1- Excess debris or lots of rain causing pump problems
2- algae bloom without filtering
3- Although it normally doesn't freeze here, when it does it is usually during the period of time we will be gone.

I have had recommendations for solar covers and covers with inflated bladder. What do y'all recommend? Thanks!

Unless you are expecting a prolonged freeze it should be fine if you bring it to SLAM Process level and cover the pool. A solar cover will work, but it may also raise the water temperature if it is sunny while you are away. A regular winter cover will work better for keeping out debris. It will be hard to remove a solar cover and not dump debris into the pool.

If you shut your pump off and you do have a freeze, you risk damaging your pump and other equipment. Does your pump have a freeze protect setting? If you are shutting it off, I would suggest you drain the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.