Temperature spiked today but will be dropping tomorrow. Should I open?

Salpal

Jul 28, 2017
Tresckow, PA
Northeast Pennsylvania is weird this year with uncharacteristically below average temperatures for most of April. Yesterday, it suddenly spiked to near 80. Today, it's in the mid 70s. Tonight into tomorrow, it drops back down to 50 with the lows being below freezing and is supposed to hang there for another week or two.

The increase in outdoor temperature prompted me to check the water temperature. Near the surface of the water, im seeing 56 degrees. This has me feeling pretty nervous and my gut is telling me to rip that Winter cover off and get some bleach in there before anything green starts popping up... But I also feel like I might be jumping the gun some.

Is roughly a day or so at near 60 degrees a cause for me to worry? Currently, the water is crystal clear... Like the day I covered it up. I'd like it to stay that way.

I am in northern Ohio, not exactly sure of you location. We have had similar weather and I can’t believe my water temp is anywhere near 50 let alone 60. Spring is dragging this year but some of my trees are budding, so spring is not far away. If you think for sure your water is 60, ( you could try a few feet down ). One nice day could warm the top inch up but not much more. Somebody else more experienced can tell you whether the inch of 60 degree water will allow algae to grow.

I am in northern Ohio, not exactly sure of you location. We have had similar weather and I can’t believe my water temp is anywhere near 50 let alone 60. Spring is dragging this year but some of my trees are budding, so spring is not far away. If you think for sure your water is 60, ( you could try a few feet down ). One nice day could warm the top inch up but not much more. Somebody else more experienced can tell you whether the inch of 60 degree water will allow algae to grow.

That's precisely what I'm worried about. That top inch.

Deeper down, the water is 48 degrees. But that top inch (where the water is touching the sun baked cover) is pushing 60.

As a note in MD, with an autocover, my pool water went from 48 to 60 is three days. Both are mixed temps. It almost had to go up fast. Lows were suddenly 60 and highs in the 80’s.

Can’t hurt to open. Though high temps won’t be above 60 for the next 10 days. But the top does get warm. I think it’s worse on that top layer with a mesh cover that is touching the surface either because it’s too loose or the water has gotten really high. In that case , water baking in the sun would be quite warm.

As a note in MD, with an autocover, my pool water went from 48 to 60 is three days. Both are mixed temps. It almost had to go up fast. Lows were suddenly 60 and highs in the 80’s.

Can’t hurt to open. Though high temps won’t be above 60 for the next 10 days. But the top does get warm. I think it’s worse on that top layer with a mesh cover that is touching the surface either because it’s too loose or the water has gotten really high. In that case , water baking in the sun would be quite warm.

I ended up just opening it. It was my first time and went pretty well thanks to this site. Water is clear and chlorinated :)

Do I need to worry much about the day it two of below freezing temps next week? According to the weather reports, the drop comes for 2 to 3 hours in the early hours of the morning before creeping back up above freezing . My gut tells me that isn't enough time for the water to freeze and bust pipes but I want to be sure.

I figure that, if it comes to it, I could just run the pump on those nights to help the water flowing

You are correct that below freezing temps for just a few hours will not do any damage. If you want to run the pump then, all the better. It needs to run each day anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.