Temperature on Ultratemp heat pump with Easytouch

Jun 21, 2017
Columbus, OH
I notice when I change the temperature setting on the Easytouch, the Ultratemp heat pump doesn't automatically show the change. The heat pump setting displayed won't change unless I manually do so using the arrows on the Ultratemp.

Is this normal? Or so I have a wiring issue?
Thanks!

bobby,

Is your heat pump connected via a serial cable or via a relay connection?

I don't have a heater so take what I say with a grain of saltwater...:p

Generally when the EasyTouch is in control of the heater via the serial cable you can't change the setting at the heat pump.

When controlled by a relay function the heater is set to max heat and the control is then taken over by the EasyTouch. As long as the set point has not been met, the heater keeps heating. Once the ET's set point is reached then the relay opens and the heater stops heating until the water temperatures drops below the set point.

With ScreenLogic, I'm not at all sure why you are even looking at the heater itself.. :confused:

Let's hope one of our heater experts can step in on this one..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I was playing with it a bit today. First, I don't have the screenlogic set up yet. We're still in the build process. He'll be installing it later on.

I found that the easytouch isn't controlling the heat pump. I adjusted the easytouch to set the pool temp down to 76 (current pool reading was 80 degrees on water temperature probe). It didn't cause the heat pump to turn off. However, adjusting the temperature control on the heat pump turned it off.

I'm not sure about the difference between relay connection vs serial cable. He says he installed it into the com port on the easytouch.

The poolbuilder is focused more on getting the pool ready for concrete pouring while the weather is still okay. I'll let him play with the electronics once that gets done.

I'll post how things go.

Press the MENU SELECT button to scroll to the Remote Mode screen. Toggle the selection by pressing one of the arrows until the screen displays
“RS-485.”
When controlling the heat pump from EasyTouch, this is how you set remote control. Heat pump control board set points will be shown as “N/A” and will be functionally disabled.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I was playing with it a bit today. First, I don't have the screenlogic set up yet. We're still in the build process. He'll be installing it later on.

I found that the easytouch isn't controlling the heat pump. I adjusted the easytouch to set the pool temp down to 76 (current pool reading was 80 degrees on water temperature probe). It didn't cause the heat pump to turn off. However, adjusting the temperature control on the heat pump turned it off.

I'm not sure about the difference between relay connection vs serial cable. He says he installed it into the com port on the easytouch.

The poolbuilder is focused more on getting the pool ready for concrete pouring while the weather is still okay. I'll let him play with the electronics once that gets done.

I'll post how things go.

Com port is what you want. That allows "real" communication to happen between the controller and the heater. The other connection is just an on/off when a setpoint is reached on the controller. On mine (Jandy) with the relay setting you can control it from the heater and the controller but not really "intelligently". It takes the com/RS-485 connection for full controller control and then the heaters control panel is also locked out.

I'm not 100% sure how he has it wired. I am have a feeling that it is going from the 1/4" spade terminals to the com port!

I will have to look into it a bit more and talk to the pool builder. Sounds like I need to confirm that my Easytouch software version 1.11 or higher to use the RS 485 connector.

bobby,

This manual.. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjH6t_1savXAhUn5oMKHanoD-cQFgg-MAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pentairpool.com%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fwebsites%2Fpool%2Fdownloads%2Fheaters%2520and%2520heat%2520pumps%2Fmanuals%2Fultratemp_heat_pump_installation_and_users_guide_english.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1j90RQtCChCbAfxD_mEUmE

Page 15 shows the RS-485 connection between the Heater Control Board, J8, pins 2 and 3 and the EasyTouch com port pins 2 and 3.

It looks like the spade connections are for a three wire control system which does not function with the EasyTouch.

I'm sure your pool guy will get it all up and running just fine.. You just need to relax and let them do their job... :p

Your software is just fine the RS-485 has been around forever...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I had downloaded the manual last night and have been reading it over a bit. It's kind of weird to want to go back and check things over, but as they were wiring it, I hadn't gotten time to really get into reading the instructions. I'm confident it will get running fine as well. I tend to be a bit detail oriented, I guess. My wife and I were like this when we built the house. We are probably more so with the pool build!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.