Albany NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’ve seen a couple of posts that may address this but wanted to get advice on when to start adding salt to my pool. Vinyl liner, SWG (Hayward AquaRite), opened this week but the water is hovering between 50 and 60 degrees (around mid 50s). I turned on the SWG a couple of times and it’s flashing lights for low efficiency which I’m assuming is due to both salt reading (started out at 3000 when I turned it on, fell to 2500, my husband added 1/2 bag of salt and it’s now down to 2300), and low water temps. I remember last year (first full summer with pool) the salt readings went up as the temperatures rose so I am thinking my best bet is to wait to add any salt and use the SWG until I’m consistently in mid to high 60s for water temp to ensure we don’t over add salt. I did a stick test that also reads 2300. Does that make sense? For now I got the rest of the chemicals balanced and I’m using liquid chlorine, keeping the SWG off so I don’t stress it. It’s not burning through much chlorine at all which I’m also guessing is due to low temps.

M,

Most salt system do not work until the water is consistently mid 50's or above.

I find that my cell (IntelliChlor IC40) reports lower than actual salt readings until the water is 65 or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.