Tell Me I Should Open My Hot Tub

Glad to hear you're getting the tub going? YES YES YES on Aww-Some purges until clean.

For a SWCG, I love my SmarterSpa. It costs more ($380-$420 depending on deals) but I love how you can set the low free chlorine level and the high clorine level ranges instead of just running for a specified amount of time every day. I find that I never really need to test my free chlorine level because it's always in the range I set regardless of it being used frequently or when I'm on vacation. See additional details in this writeup......

Last edited:
Make sure it is 20 amp, not 15, and on a 20 amp breaker with #12 awg wire. It should be a dedicated circuit. Many think a plug in means no electrical, but that tub is pushing the limits of it's circuit, and if you have something else plugged in that comes on when it's heating, you trip the breaker. And most home wall outlets are on 15 amp, #14 awg wire.

Reactions: Plettschner
Make sure it is 20 amp, not 15, and on a 20 amp breaker with #12 awg wire. It should be a dedicated circuit. Many think a plug in means no electrical, but that tub is pushing the limits of it's circuit, and if you have something else plugged in that comes on when it's heating, you trip the breaker. And most home wall outlets are on 15 amp, #14 awg wire.
Yes, it has a dedicated 20A circuit with the single outlet weather cover box for the GFCI plug. New 20A GFCI plug will be here tomorrow... this one is toast.

Glad to hear your getting the tub going? YES YES YES on Aww-Some purges until clean.

For a SWCG, I love my SmarterSpa. It costs more ($380-$420 depending on deals) but I love how you can set the low free chlorine level and the high clorine level ranges instead of just running so much every day. I find that I never really need to test my free chlorine level because it's always in the range I set regardless of it being used frequently or when I'm on vacation. See additional details in this writeup......

Nice. I'm debating between that or the Saltron Mini.

I'd love an inline unit as there is space for the optional ozone generator in the engine bay.

The flow rate on that circulation system is about 8-10 gpm, depending on filter cleanliness, so an inline system will have to be able to handle those low flow rates. There are several people here who really like the saltron, in spite of my feelings about salt systems in spas. As a repair man I don't hear about the ones that are working, so maybe I am biased. But, if going with salt, I would try that first, and avoid the plumbing issues.
Another consideration is the heater. Spas with salt should use a titanium element, which is simple to install in some spas, but not a Watkins (Hot Springs, Caldera, Tiger River, etc) with an IQ system. You might find a complete heater assembly with titanium for a newer salt system, but you'll have to buy the whole unit, not just an element, and it will be pricey.
I do not recommend ozone with a salt system. Ozone depletes chlorine, and the cell creates it. I have heard that the salt cell also oxidizes so there is really no need for ozone and it will make your cell work harder and burn up your salt faster.
Personally, I like chlorine with ozone. I also use a silver cartridge (nature2) as a backup, but that is a matter of choice. But ozone is a must have in a chlorine spa, in my opinion.
But, like my dad always said, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I never have asked why he would know so much about skinning cats, he has 2 as pets so it's not some deep psychological hatred of felines or anything. :unsure:

Question regarding operation of the heater. Being this tub is on a 120V 20A circuit and has a 14ga cord, and looking at the amp ratings of the heater and pumps, am I safe to assume that the heater kicks off when the jet pump is turned on and vice versa?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question regarding operation of the heater. Being this tub is on a 120V 20A circuit and has a 14ga cord, and looking at the amp ratings of the heater and pumps, am I safe to assume that the heater kicks off when the jet pump is turned on and vice versa?
Seems like it would need at least a 12 ga cord with 20 amps..

So if I buy a "hot tub" GFCI plug, it's over $100. If I buy the Leviton GFCI plug, it's $28. Am I missing something?
When it comes to electricity and hot tubs I am anal. Really about electricity in general. I almost had a house burn down due to an outdoor GFCI that failed and started a fire. Luckily someone was there to kill power and put it out.

I would not buy anything unless I was 100% certain it was rated for hot tubs. The reason the GFCI failed I referred to above is that it was not WR rated. It was installed in a weather enclosure, but the gasket failed which led to the GFCI failure. A lot of people don't know that there are different types of GFCIs so I would want to understand the differences in plugs before putting it in. I would call Leviton customer service and talk to them, or possibly your local spa dealer. I have found that people are generally helpful if you ask questions....just ask what the difference is between the Leviton and one that specifically says it is for hot tubs.

Keep us posted on how it goes! Once you understand spas they really are simple....not a lot of moving parts. I am wondering if your heater went bad, which is one of the most common failure points so the previous owner decided to unplug and stop using. Heaters are easy changes.

Good luck

Reactions: Mdragger88
I appreciate your concerns. The "hot tub" GFCIs I mentioned were branded versions from Caldera or such. I know these hot tub manufacturers do not make the actual plug. The Leviton I bought looks identical and is outdoor rainproof rated, and suitable for outdoor portable pools and pumps according to Leviton. Some hot tub shops sell the exact same one as a replacement.

Reactions: Newdude
Are you talking just a pleated filter?? I've used several brands over the years and could tell no difference really.

Buy two though, when one gets dirty pull it out put in the second and you are up and running right away, than you can clean the one you just pulled and get it all ready for the next swap.

And I would think the Leviton would work fine... the price difference is the Caldera name stamp on the other one!

Yes, 65 sqft pleated cartridge filter. I found Pleatco filters for cheap and it seems to be a popular brand on TFP. Probably just grab 2 of those as the original filter looks questionable.

Also confirmed that the heater does work. Takes forever to heat up, but it does function.

Now I just need to finish cleaning, do the Ahh-Some purge, and buy a cover.

Reactions: A.O.
And I would think the Leviton would work fine... the price difference is the Caldera name stamp on the other one
The same goes for the Pentair GFCI breaker for the VS pumps. Pentair doesn’t make it, Siemens does. And Siemens has their own ‘version’ without the Pentiar stamp. It’s about 25% cheaper when there is no pandemic going on.

I found Pleatco filters for cheap and it seems to be a popular brand on TFP. Probably just grab 2 of those as the original filter looks questionable
Somebody bought a Pentair cartridge filter at the start of this season and it came with Pleatcos inside. This tells us one of 2 things :

A). pentair approved of pleatco as a replacement when pentiar couldn’t keep up their own supply

B). Pleatco always made Pentairs filters and didn’t have the production ability to stamp those specifically with all that was going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.