Technique for removing embedded plaster dust

SteelBlue

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2019
57
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a dark colored Pebble finish that is two months old. Like many darker Pebble finishes, mine was left with light cloudy patches on the bottom that I assumed was embedded plaster dust. The installer was of no help and basically disappeared from the scene. I've not read any reliable ways to deal with this except for keeping the pool balanced and waiting, hoping it would disappear. I had been using dry acid to keep the pH 7.2 - 7.4, which is the recommended pH by Pebble Tec for the first months of use. I faithfully mixed the dry acid in a bucket of water before adding it to the pool. Then a thought struck me. If I threw in the dry acid in its granular form over the cloudy patches and let it sink to the bottom, which it did, it might be a sort of mild acid wash. I did this, let it sit for one minute then brushed the white granules up off the floor into solution. After two weeks of this (a daily event), the white cloudy patches are starting to fade.
 

crabboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
628
Suwanee, GA
I'd call Pebble Tec, it should be covered under their warranty. They will likely contact the company that did your plaster and pressure them to fix it.
 

SteelBlue

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2019
57
Scottsdale, AZ
It is actually not "Pebble Tec" but another competing company, but if it's not gone by the end of September I will do that. The problem with that method is that the fix will surely involve draining the pool which costs me $300 above my normal water bill.
 

crabboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
628
Suwanee, GA
I'd personally reach out to them sooner, you don't want them blaming the issue on you. If they suggest waiting, then that's okay, it's on them.
 

SteelBlue

Well-known member
Jul 4, 2019
57
Scottsdale, AZ
They already told me don't call them til September, so the onus is on them. I'm making excellent progress with the dry acid technique in any event. Using the same amount of dry acid, just not mixing it with water.