Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Marengo/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just replaced my agp liner and made cuts for skimmer and return. Everything went smoothly. Then overnight tears occurred in both spots, skimmer and return. UGH!! How do I repair? Am I facing a total loss of the liner and buying another? I called every pool service company I could find within 60 miles and no one was available to replace then liner for me. 60152 zip code, northern Illinois if you know someone to recommend. How do I repair?

liner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t tell but it doesn’t look like there is any water in there? The liner will stretch as it fills, so you don’t want to cut any holes until the water level is just a bit below the return.

Your best bet is to replace the liner at this point. If you could get a large enough patch, you might be able to patch over the entire hole(s), and then cut a new opening.

I can’t tell but it doesn’t look like there is any water in there? The liner will stretch as it fills, so you don’t want to cut any holes until the water level is just a bit below the return.

Your best bet is to replace the liner at this point. If you could get a large enough patch, you might be able to patch over the entire hole(s), and then cut a new opening.
You are correct. There is only about 24" of water in the pool. I'm so disappointed that I didn't get the best information before I cut the holes. Planning to patch it today after I empty some water. Thanks for your response.

You're not going to get a good patch on that. It's going to leak n destroy your wall. It's a total loss.

Going to try to patch it. I’ve got nothing to lose except time enjoying my pool.
Get the water level up to just below the area so the liner is almost as stretched as it is going to get.
You need to remove the skimmer & return plates & their gaskets & patch the entire area then cut new holes.

Reactions: magiteck
I got matching liner pieces from the liner manufacturer and layered patches on the area and they are holding great. Now I see that I need a new butterfly gasket for the skimmer flaceplate. Existing one is cracked and brittle.

One step at a time.

I got matching liner pieces from the liner manufacturer and layered patches on the area and they are holding great. Now I see that I need a new butterfly gasket for the skimmer flaceplate. Existing one is cracked and brittle.

One step at a time.

Attachments

• patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
Before cutting anything get that water level up to near the bottom of the return, then cut that hole & install it. Next raise it to just below the skimmer before proceeding with that cut/install & hopefully you won’t have anymore issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.