Teal Pool

sallyal8

Aug 12, 2022
Texas
I have a 10k gal gunite pool in Texas, new this summer. I am having trouble keeping pool blue. Every time I add Chlorine- it turns teal/green. I have Culator bags in skimmer and pump baskets, pool test says all numbers in range. Can‘t get back to blue unless I use the $100 metal elimination kit, which I refuse to do every time I add chlorine. Also have a chlorinated with tabs. FC = 1, TC= 1, pH 7.3, Total Alk- 84, CYA 30, iron 0, copper, 0, phosphates 0, calcium 289.
what’s wrong? What am I missing?

Hi there Sally... do you know the source of your copper? Are you adding any Clorox XtraBlu products or cheaper algaecides?

I also see a problem with your testing - pool store, right?? No Bueno. You really need your own test kit that contains the FAS-DPD chlorine tester for higher chlorine levels (higher than 10ppm). Currently your FC is too low for a CYA of 30. This is an invitation for algae.

Some fast reads to help you-> Pool Care Basics

Holler back with questions :)

Maddie :flower:

Hi there Sally... do you know the source of your copper? Are you adding any Clorox XtraBlu products or cheaper algaecides?

I also see a problem with your testing - pool store, right?? No Bueno. You really need your own test kit that contains the FAS-DPD chlorine tester for higher chlorine levels (higher than 10ppm). Currently your FC is too low for a CYA of 30. This is an invitation for algae.

Some fast reads to help you-> Pool Care Basics

Holler back with questions :)

Thank you for responding….So do you think the teal is copper? I am not getting any test results showing that, nor are the culator bags turning color- maybe a little yellow. I do have well water. yes, pool store test results, however, I do have a Taylor kit and tested- my results were were almost the same. I have not added the chlorox product or algae codes you mention. I added cya granules the day before the test, so not sure if it’s an accurate reading. I’ll read the link you shared….any other thoughts with this additional info?

Last edited:
Bright green (teal?) can imply copper. Culator pods haven't a great reputation for being helpful, I'm sorry to say.

It also can be algae... the green of algae plus the blue of the pool and water can look teal too. But that it gets stronger when you add chlorine does sound more to me like copper.

Do you ever have the well water tested? Do you ever see discoloration in your toilet or sink?

I have not, but I guess we could. Here is what is frustrating. Our initial fill this year, was great- crystal clear, blue. The plaster job was Crud, so they drained and re did….drought in TX etc already 10k gallons drained, I can imagine we got into a whole different level of water in our well and now this refill has fought us from the start. As I mentioned the only way we got it blue was with eliminator kit. I am thinking a filtered water change is in order to fix?? I just Taylor tested- numbers are spot on.

I added a pic of the color.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 47963.jpeg
    47963.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 17
I'd agree that if it's turning a greenish hue once when chlorine is added, it's likely metals such as copper or iron.

If you're using a metal out (like Jack's Blue/Purple stuff or Metal Out, etc.) and that helps keeping it from going green, again, leads to believe it's just metals in your pool. You have two choices basically. Keep using a sequestrant (regularly, you can't just add it once and be done) to keep your metals in a solution state (instead of suspension state where they are visible and can stain) , or you can add polyfill in your skimmer(s) (this can work pretty well and polyfill is cheap) and also try to catch the metals in your main filter and wash that regularly too. The higher your FC, the more likely the metals will go from solution to suspension and start to turn water green and stain pool walls/floor, etc. The lower your FC, the more likely the metals will stay in solution, but the risk is higher with algae outbreaks, etc. Metals just plain suck. (Yes, I deal with iron myself so I know how you're feeling).

Ok, 1ppm is too low FC. Have you seen this guide to how much FC you want based on how much CYA you have?
FC/CYA Levels

Everything is is fine. Your TA is a bit high, but if your pH isn't raising due to it...why worry?

Please go to <Settings> and find <Signature Line> and describe your pool as you see I've done. We need to know its "plaster", its size, what equipment is in use, type of filter, how you normally chlorinate and how you test (which kit).
This helps us not keep asking as new folks join this thread for you. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.