TDS rose rapidly

Mar 3, 2016
Gold Canyon, AZ
I drained and refilled my pool in May 2017 and the TDS tested at 1700. However by September it had risen to 4000. I had been adding 4 gall of acid 31% every month at the rate of 16 oz day, to control high ph. Is it possible that the acid has been etching out minerals etc from the pebbeltec to produce such a high tds reading?

I would be more concerned with adding 16 oz a day of full strength acid to a 12000 gallon pool for that long! Seems excessive --

The acid adds salt. Chlorine adds salt. Your water adds calcium. What is the CH? What are your own tests? TDS does not mean much.

Take care.

pf

:testresults:

It is pretty hard for us to answer any questions when we don't have a full story of what is going on.

Do you have massive amounts of water features that are causing that much pH increase?

Where do you try to maintain your pH?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Agree, I also cannot understand the need for so much acid in an effort to keep my ph at 7.8. My CH was 260 in May when I had changed the water and is now 450.
Other than the problem with needing so much acid and the rise in TDS, the water has always been sparkling and combined Cl has always been zero.

Again - TDS is meaningless. Your CH rise sounds normal, if not low by my standards here in Laughlin.

What is your TA? What is the TA of your fill water?

A full set of test results really help.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.