TC and pH off

Jun 5, 2018
Justin, TX
On Friday of last week, our readings for total chlorine and pH were normal, after adding 2 lbs of chlorine and about 5 cups of dry acid the day before. When I tested the water again 3 days later, our TC level is back below 1, and the pH is too high. These seem to be recurring problems! Any ideas? Think part of our equipment might not be working right? Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum!

Can you provide us a complete set of test results?

Thank you for posting!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

You need to realize that chlorine is a consumable that is lost to contaminants in the water as well as the sun. It is normal to have to add chlorine everyday. So I am not surprised that you had almost none after 3 days.

The methods we teach are based on the fact that the chlorine level required is a function of your stabilizer level according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

So I agree with the above in asking for a full set of test results

TA was 500 (super high) and CYA 90.
:wave: Welcome to TFP!

You need to realize that chlorine is a consumable that is lost to contaminants in the water as well as the sun. It is normal to have to add chlorine everyday. So I am not surprised that you had almost none after 3 days.

The methods we teach are based on the fact that the chlorine level required is a function of your stabilizer level according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

So I agree with the above in asking for a full set of test results

I'm going to put this as politely as I can, STOP using "lbs of chlorine" and STOP using dry acid.

:)

If your CYA is really 90, it's likely your "lbs" are Dichlor, which contains CYA. You should be using liquid only.

What is the TA of your tap water/fill water?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and you need to get the test kit so you can differentiate between Total Chlorine, and Free Chlorine. Free Chlorine is the kind you want. Total Chlorine is the combination of Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine (chloramines). Only knowing Total Chlorine doesn't tell you what you need to know. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.