Taylor Test Kit for measuring FC: DPD vs. FAS-DPD?

DaciaT

Jun 17, 2019
Breaux Bridge, LA
Shopping for Taylor kits to measure FC. I'm not interested in buying a complete kit, I'm satisfied with my HTH 6-Way...I just need to test for FC.

K-1515-A, which is strictly for measuring FAS-DPD, for about $25, is backordered on Amazon. I found K-1004 "Troubleshooter DPD Test Kit", about same price point, says it measures FC, but it doesn't say FAS-DPD, it only says DPD.

Can someone explain the difference and advise if I'm better off waiting 4-5 extra days for K-1515-A? In the meantime, I'm not sure if my little pool has enough FC and I'm obsessing over it a little bit.

DPD uses colormatching, which is fine as far as it goes. Which is usually only to 5, although I have heard some go to 10. Still not high enough for us. And what if it's higher -- much higher? It bleaches out. So you may read 25 as 3 and react accordingly and make a problem worse. And how can you tell if it's low or bleached-out? You don't.

FAS-DPD can measure up to 50 FC. That's well above anything you're ever going to need. If you ever need to measure that high, you've got bigger problems than any test kit can fix.

Reactions: DaciaT
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.