Taylor Sodium Chloride test kit

If going for 3200 ppm, you need to remove 5200 ppm. Your fill water you tested as 400 ppm.
1-3200/8400 = 0.62
To account for the 400 ppm and inefficiency, I would exchange/drain ~75% of your pool volume.

If going for 3200 ppm, you need to remove 5200 ppm. Your fill water you tested as 400 ppm.
1-3200/8400 = 0.62
To account for the 400 ppm and inefficiency, I would exchange/drain ~75% of your pool volume.
Thanks for the info mknauss........I am glad I addressed this now since I can take care of this next week, since its not being installed till Aprill 11th.......I had no idea our pool salt content was so high......but I guess over the years using the TFP method with liquid chlorine breaking down as it does and not having to drain the pool, the ppm just continued to go up.....will go to Home Depot and rent a pump next week and take care of this prior to our install.....thanks again for the input

Reactions: mknauss
I had no idea our pool salt content was so high......but I guess over the years using the TFP method with liquid chlorine breaking down as it does and not having to drain the pool, the ppm just continued to go up..
I tried to reverse engineer it and guessing 120 gallons a year would increase you 1650 ppm salt. That's 8250 in 5 years, and you'd get there even sooner factoring in the desert evaporation rates with 400 ppm fill water.

When doing the salt test, at what point do you stop adding the R-0718 reagent?

400 ppm in your tap water is ridiculously high.

Are you in Phoenix proper or one of the 'burbs?
Maybe call the city and ask them what salt content they report.
Also, just as a sanity check, take a sample of pool water and tap water to a local pool store (not Leslies) and have them test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
I am Curious,
Can you taste the salt in the pool? Most people can at levels around 3500 ppm.
As for the tap water..
For reference, gatorade has about 500-600ppm of salt 🧂 so no need to buy that! Just turn on the faucet 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: newdude
Probably MUCH cheaper to drain and refill instead of an RO treatment.
True, but it will save several thousand gallons of Colorado River water which is still in short supply. (If indeed that is the source of the OP's water).

As I recall for at least some Phoenix area water companies there can be a sever impact on your bill if you choose the wrong month to drain/refill.

I pulled up the City of Phoenix's 2022 water quality report, and it reports a "Sodium" concentration range of 48-213 PPM. If that sodium is mostly Sodium Chloride then indeed that would correspond to about 500 ppm of salt.

A few things and again thanks for all the advise......yes you can taste salt in the water..........as flynwill stated we get our water from the city of Phoenix....and his numbers are what I found also, which would lend itself to 400 ppm.....also I added 2 drops of the 0718 reagent to get the salmon colored water .....2 x 200 = 400.....thats how I came up with it.......so gonna do a 75% drain and refill this coming week......since the pool water currently is at a minimum 7000 ppm per test strips or 8000 ppm per the Taylor test kit.....will then add appropriate amount of chemicals (Chlorine-CYA-Muratic Acid) to appropriate levels then test for salt and add to get the water close to 3200 ppm prior to SWCG install....once again appreciate all the info

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.