Taylor k-2006 how long before I need to replace reagents

Mokman

Jun 6, 2020
Montreal
Hello,

I just received my taylor k-2006 test kit. I have not had my pool installed yet but with all the covid stuff it has forced me to think ahead since shipping can take up to a month to receive my items. I was just wondering are there any of the reagents that I'll have to replace quickly and how quickly would I need to replace them? For example I've been reading that I should test chlorine and ph 2-3 times a week so I'm thinking those reagents might go fast.

Reason also why I'm asking this is that some of the reagents here in Canada cost like 50$! I guess I'll put that into another post but if I'm replacing 50$ bottles quickly I might just go with test strips (yuck) and rely on the pool shop to do testing for me. It kills me to see 10-20$ reagent bottles in the US going for 50$ over here...

TIA!

Welcome to TFP.

We recommend the K-2006C over the K-2006 because it has more reagents.

See the table here for the number of tests you get...

Test the chlorine with a 10 ml sample and multiply by 0.5 instead of a 25 ml sample and multiply by 0.2 as directed. That extends your reagents.

What type of pool are you installing? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Reason also why I'm asking this is that some of the reagents here in Canada cost like 50$! I guess I'll put that into another post but if I'm replacing 50$ bottles quickly I might just go with test strips (yuck) and rely on the pool shop to do testing for me. It kills me to see 10-20$ reagent bottles in the US going for 50$ over here...
Hi M! Congrats on your new pool. Relying on test strips and a pool store for your testing is a recipe for wasting much more than a $50 here and there. That would just a really poor pool maintenance choice so I’m glad you’ve purchase a good kit and hope you stick with good self-testing.

Reactions: Mokman
Welcome to TFP.

We recommend the K-2006C over the K-2006 because it has more reagents.

See the table here for the number of tests you get...

Test the chlorine with a 10 ml sample and multiply by 0.5 instead of a 25 ml sample and multiply by 0.2 as directed. That extends your reagents.

What type of pool are you installing? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.
Thanks. I see the k-2006C has more reagents I'll try to get that next time. Supply is limited coming into Canada and they kits are all over 200$. I'll post my pool specs once it actually gets installed thanks!

You won't go through that much. 2 1/2 years on mine and I have bought more chlorine test once and just ordered more cya and the main pm one because they getting low. In our climate I don't think it's a big deal. Plus once you get your poolbstabke and figured out you won't test anything other than chlorine daily and oh once or twice a week. To be honest I onlybtedt chlorine 2 times a week usually. The salt system is very reliable and only heavy use causes it to need a tweak.

You won't go through that much. 2 1/2 years on mine and I have bought more chlorine test once and just ordered more cya and the main pm one because they getting low. In our climate I don't think it's a big deal. Plus once you get your poolbstabke and figured out you won't test anything other than chlorine daily and oh once or twice a week. To be honest I onlybtedt chlorine 2 times a week usually. The salt system is very reliable and only heavy use causes it to need a tweak.

My pool isn’t installed yet but what reagents do you think I’ll be buying extra besides the kit? Just cya and chlorine test reagents?
Also where do you buy your Taylor stuff?

You know what sucks? I got my test kit but most of the reagents expire April 2021! As you know we don’t swim that early in the season!

Really the only extra ones needed for the K-2006 vs K-2006C is more CYA testing and more of the FAS-DPD powder/drops. Unfortunately those usually cost more than the upgrade to the K-2006C would have been, but as it is, they're probably cheaper than a whole new kit.

You should have more than enough pH, TA, CH, and CC testing supplies.

Reactions: Mokman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool

50 tests for TA and CH are plenty. 100 tests for pH is fine. 6 tests for CYA is a bit low and I would get more of that. 25 tests for FC is also low, especially if you ever have to deal with an algae bloom with a SLAM, so more of that is typically needed too.

How often do you test cya? I set it in the spring and forget it. Does it really change that much if your using salt or liquid chlorine?
I test weekly. We can get up to 3" of rain in an hour here in the summer. I buy the 16 oz. CYA bottle and it lasts me a year. I just saw they sell it by the gallon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.