Taylor CYA Agent R-0013

My pool was reopened two weeks ago while I was away (I got home Friday). In the meantime my wife was just putting a bunch of bleach in the pool and now I gotta try to remember how to do all this stuff!

Just took my first measurements. I was down to my last few drops of R-0013 (CYA agent) and I refilled the small bottle from a 1-pint bottle of R-0013 that I had bought at the end of last year. Doing the Taylor CYA test, the water didn't get cloudy at all. Now I suppose this could mean the CYA is off the charts but it was manageable last year and I thought maybe is it possible that the one-pint bottle of R-0013 went bad over the winter? It was stored in the house at room temperature. Could something else be going on?

Thanks!

FC = 3.4
CC = 0
pH = 7.6
TAC = 80ppm
CYA ?

If the CYA mixture did not cloud at all, your CYA is near zero.

Losing CYA over winter is not unusual. Snow melt, rain, etc overflows the pool. Also there is a natural degradation of CYA.
As long as the pool is holding some chlorine and your CC is low as you show, you can add 30 ppm CYA and start maintaining the pool water chemistry.

If CYA is too high you drain some water and replace with fresh.

Go in steps when adding CYA. Start with 30 ppm worth. You will want 40-50 ppm for the balance of the summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.