Tax Time!!! Self prep or paid help???

I volunteer at the local Senior Center to do free income taxes for anybody who needs it. Its the VITA/TCE program, and they have places set up all over. We have to pass a test every year, IRS provides the software. This year we are using TaxSlayer.
Find out if there is a place near you. They can answer questions, but only do the basic returns. No small business losses, out of state or farm income.
Free tax prep, free electronic filing.

Yesterday I purchased & downloaded TurboTax Deluxe from Staples for about $40:

http://www.staples.com/TurboTax-Del...-Boxed-/product_2438179#/id='dropdown_2484509'

You can also opt for a boxed version (CD/DVD) for local pick up for the same price, after my purchase it took about 30 minutes to get my "link" to download the software.

I must admit, the whole ordeal was not bad at all!!!! After downloading and letting the software install, then run updates, the software basically does a "wizard" type of flow to input all of your info. Before sitting down I made sure all necessary documents were right in front of me including my tax return from last year. It was an additional $20 to file my state taxes, so for a total of about $60 our Fed & local State taxes were prepped and submitted online!!!!

After submitting them, I received an email about 3 hours later saying that both tax returns were accepted by the IRS and FTB!!!!! Awesome!!!! So next year, we will be doing the same thing.

Just did my parents taxes today using TurboTax; in total, it took about 90mins. Saved them a ton of money...but then again, I work cheap. They give me a couple of Dunkin Donuts gift cards and I'm happy....

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday I purchased & downloaded TurboTax Deluxe from Staples for about $40:

http://www.staples.com/TurboTax-Del...-Boxed-/product_2438179#/id='dropdown_2484509'

You can also opt for a boxed version (CD/DVD) for local pick up for the same price, after my purchase it took about 30 minutes to get my "link" to download the software.

I must admit, the whole ordeal was not bad at all!!!! After downloading and letting the software install, then run updates, the software basically does a "wizard" type of flow to input all of your info. Before sitting down I made sure all necessary documents were right in front of me including my tax return from last year. It was an additional $20 to file my state taxes, so for a total of about $60 our Fed & local State taxes were prepped and submitted online!!!!

After submitting them, I received an email about 3 hours later saying that both tax returns were accepted by the IRS and FTB!!!!! Awesome!!!! So next year, we will be doing the same thing.

Yeah, as long as you have all your documents in front of you, it's really nothing more than data entry. I have used the online "community" forum for questions and both their moderators and members are super helpful (must be TFP members on there ;-) ).

I also opted for the TurboTax Advantage which is very nice - every November my credit card gets charged $60 and the latest version of their tax software is ready for download. It's a nice reminder and it lets you play with their software early where you can guess a lot of what you'll be entering. It's a nice way to do some tax planning if your State offers credits and you have carry-over deductions, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you download the App? They have this goofy little app for your smartphone that lets you track all of your e-File and refund info.

I have been using Turbo Tax for years and it just get better every year. Each year it uploads previous years info, I update with current info and bam, I'm done. The only time I was audited was when I used a CPA and it turned out I paid to much tax and got a refund. Fired the CPA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.