Tarp type cover?

Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hi,

We have an automatic cover that we use year round. Every winter I have worried about the water level being too low as first year it caved in due to a leak in the pool. Anyway, I cannot afford to purchase a safety cover and have thought of getting a tarp to use in the winter and not use the auto cover. My question is are the tarps a pain to use? We do have the pump we could use to keep water off. Can the tarp be further secured with the anchors. Do you use the water bags, bricks or concrete type bricks? There are some Black Friday deals so would like to get soon.

Thanks! I have pic of cover now so you all can let me know if it seems too low. Our pool company likes to have level below skimmer. Last winter at one point I left the cover open because I was worried about the level. We had a new liner installed last spring.

We live in Indianapolis, so winters can be mild vs horrible. Pardon the mess around pool, still cleaning up outside.

We plan to sell the house in two years, so trying not to put more money into the pool.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 19
I cannot afford to purchase a safety cover
Fair enough. But the auto cover is a safety cover. So we need to discuss if there is a reason you installed a safety cover. (Small kids or pets). They will waltz across the tarp as a shortcut and become an underwater burrito. If thats not a concern, than tarps work great.

Never use anything with hard edges such as bricks or cinderblocks with a cover. ( Or near the pool in general.) If the wind pulls the cover so, it will dump the bricks in the pool.

Water bags are a PITA to fill, empty, and they pop. Aqua Blocks are long and skinny storage tubs that are much easier and more durable. There's several brands / styles but I imagine they're all equally good for what you need.
have pic of cover now so you all can let me know if it seems too low
It does seem low, but it's also mostly resting on the water so it's probably fine.

Do you have gizzmos/plugs in the skimmers ?

Yes, we purchased an auto cover a couple of years ago as we have grandchildren and dogs. The pool itself also has a fence around it as another barrier. We had a mesh safety cover that I sold when we put the auto cover on as our pool guy said to use the safety cover year round. I could kick myself for selling it. Since we are only going to live here a couple of more years I don’t want to spend a few thousand for another cover. I think the past couple of winters I have questioned the pool level and our pool guy says keep below the skimmer - there is a plug in the skimmer with pink liquid, antifreeze?. Others here said to keep level at normal level to support the cover.

Thanks for answering!

Yes, we purchased an auto cover a couple of years ago as we have grandchildren and dogs.
Ok. Well. A couple of years later, the kids are bigger and more likely to understand the rules.
The pool itself also has a fence around it as another barrier
Even. Better. Because maybe the family keeps expanding, or dogs will dogs.
there is a plug in the skimmer with pink liquid, antifreeze?.
Ok. I would stuff the skimmer body and mouth with cut up pool noodles. The current water height is fine for a tarp.

Reactions: Lynn5707
Ok. Well. A couple of years later, the kids are bigger and more likely to understand the rules.

Even. Better. Because maybe the family keeps expanding, or dogs will dogs.

Ok. I would stuff the skimmer body and mouth with cut up pool noodles. The current water height is fine for a tarp.
Do you think it is a good idea to use the tarp instead of the auto cover?

What do the pool noodles do in the skimmer?

What do the pool noodles do in the skimmer?
If any water gets in there (rain and/or the pool refills) it will push the antifreeze out to the pool. Then it might freeze and the noodles will take up most of the space so the ice can't expand enough to do any damage.
Do you think it is a good idea to use the tarp instead of the auto cover?
I'm torn. Some swear the autocover can handle the snow and others retract the auto cover for the winter. I would likely personally try to protect my expensive investment with a seperate cover. (Tarp or Looploc style).

If any water gets in there (rain and/or the pool refills) it will push the antifreeze out to the pool. Then it might freeze and the noodles will take up most of the space so the ice can't expand enough to do any damage.

I'm torn. Some swear the autocover can handle the snow and others retract the auto cover for the winter. I would likely personally try to protect my expensive investment with a seperate cover. (Tarp or Looploc style).
Thanks again For your answers. I am torn too that is why I posted here. 😊

Reactions: Newdude
So prob best just to keep doing what we are doing with auto cover?
No, he was just joking about being torn in the literal and figurative sense. But it does bring up a good point. Which cover would you rather replace if something happened to it ? Yeah. 😁

In my (newly decided upon) opinion, it's better to try and stretch more life from the $10k to $15k cover by using a tarp or traditional safety cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, he was just joking about being torn in the literal and figurative sense. But it does bring up a good point. Which cover would you rather replace if something happened to it ? Yeah. 😁

In my (newly decided upon) opinion, it's better to try and stretch more life from the $10k to $15k cover by using a tarp or traditional safety cover.
So if I buy a tarp, use the aqua bricks instead of the water tubes.

Reactions: Newdude

I wish I could say I was that clever. It was early and I was just thinking puns. But yea, that’s good to consider the expense of replacing stuff. The aqua blocks have a downside in that you have to store them somewhere and mine seem to crack a lot (not tear!) so some of them are empty when spring comes around.

So if I buy a tarp, use the aqua bricks instead of the water tubes.
Yes. That's what I have, a tarp w aqua bricks. But to be honest, why spend the money? Just use the safety cover you have as designed (pump water off as needed). Put water back up to the middle of the skimmer with something to absorb ice expansion (like the aforementioned noodle or use a 2 L soda bottle with weights inside like fishbowl rocks or whatever you can fit in the opening). Even if you get a tarp-style cover it needs to lay on the water for support. Otherwise, once it gets water on it, the cover will sink to the water level (and drag the blocks or bags in with it). That safety cover should also lay on the water for support. The pool company is incorrect. The mesh safety covers can have the pool drained down because they are supported by the decking anchors (not pool water). Definitely save the money and extra work. If you're still unsure you could always call the automatic safety cover company and ask their advice.

Thanks again for all the help! So if I put the noodles in the skimmer I should be ok to raise the water level above the skimmer? So that would displace the antifreeze, but with the noodles would that matter?

Sorry to be so dense.
Not dense at all, better safe than sorry come spring. You're correct, the water will displace the antifreeze but the noodle will replace the ice-absorbing capability so it doesn't matter. But you do need to keep your skimmer lid on so it keeps the noodle in the water (so it can absorb the pressure of ice that forms). You can put anything with some weight on the skimmer lid if you want (it doesn't take much to hold it in place). For example, a watering can (or small bucket with weight in it). Once I know I'm going to have prolonged freezing temps I just do a double check to make sure the noodle or whatever is still in place...and wait for spring :)

I would use a plastic cup to remove most of the antifreeze if you're filling the pool. It can go in the pool but it can also not. Lol. Don't use a shop vac, it's theoretically flammable.

I didn't get a pic but I bent a couple noodles into U's and filled the skimmer like this. Then 3 or so horizontal pieces were held tight in the middle of the U's

Screenshot_20231122_122633_Chrome.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.