Tanning Ledge Question

dfisher25

Jan 12, 2021
Roanoke, VA
Hello everyone,
I’m thinking about adding a fiberglass tanning ledge (8’ x 8’ or so) to my existing fiberglass pool. I would have it raised so there would be a water fall to the main pool. My question goes out to those with this configuration with the following:
1) do you run treated water to the separate tanning ledge at all times the pump is running? I’m assuming so otherwise this would turn into a lagoon. Do you need to run it longer that 8-10 hours per day because it is so shallow?
2) if the answer above is yes, have you noticed a lot more evaporation or pH issues from the cascading water?

thank you in advance

I have been on TFP for a bit and have not seen any such thing added after the pool was put in the ground. Saying that I am sure it can be done with enough money and skills.

Now on to your questions:
-I THINK if you will not need to run the pump any longer just for the ledge. If you have a good flow around/through the ledge it should all even out. Now saying that I also think the ledge will help warm your pool up some due to the depth.

-I don't think it will cause any extra evaporation BUT the overflow WILL push the pH up as that is how it works. No big deal really. Just have muriatic acid on hand to lower it again.

My tanning ledge is kept clean/refreshed with filtered water supplied through a return. If you feed your “waterfall” from the ledge with a return, if/when your pump is off, your ledge would drain. You would have to keep the pump running 24/7 to keep the ledge full.

Reactions: jeffchap
I have some decorative tiles inlaid in my ledge and without a return angled to keep water moving over it, some algae will begin to grow on the grout around those tiles.

Have you ever been to a public pool that had a separate kiddy pool? It gets scolding hot with no circulation! We run 2 returns in our 8'x16' ledge and 2 bubblers. Bubblers are adjusted so they just brake the surface and we don't find them noisy but, the tanning ledge stays comfortable to sit in. We run the returns sunrise to sunset and, the bubblers only when we have anyone in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.