Tankless Water Heater to Heat My Pool

Very nice idea, as far as I know my gas tankless water heater *can* be used for continuous operation, there is a version that is meant specifically for outdoors installation (very common in SoCal), the heat exchanger is stainless steel, and the manufacturer specifically considers it as part of installations with several heaters in parallel for large buildings, hotels so I do not see why it wouldn't work. It's also not 80 bucks by the way but if I ever consider heating up my pool with gas this is a solution I'm willing to consider

Like many of you, I have been hunkered down for the past several weeks, working from home with a clear view of a pool with an ugly tarp on it. I finally caved in this weekend and opened it up. I know, way too early, but this was my first opening. The previous 2 years we just installed a bigger temporary pool, my way of figuring out what was sustainable for our family. Anyhow, the process was so much smoother than I thought it would be. The water was actually clear and we were able to siphon off all the tarp water the day before. The biggest pleasant surprise was that my water heater still works! I'm obviously not using it yet, but I was really curious about whether or not it would fire up and it had no issues. I also discovered that my Sonoff smart switch had an available update that increased the accuracy of the thermostat from 1 Celsius degree to 1 Fahrenheit degree. So far so good!

Reactions: Brian Malone
Just wanted to say I came across your video on YouTube while I was searching for info on doing the same for my pool. I then log into TFP and come across your post! Thank you for all your info and we'll thought out process! Your video made me decide to go with natural gas instead of the propane version. I myself am a fellow unconventional thinker. My nickname at work is MacGyver. Thanks for keeping up with the updates .

Reactions: CSE1965
Just wanted to say I came across your video on YouTube while I was searching for info on doing the same for my pool. I then log into TFP and come across your post! Thank you for all your info and we'll thought out process! Your video made me decide to go with natural gas instead of the propane version. I myself am a fellow unconventional thinker. My nickname at work is MacGyver. Thanks for keeping up with the updates .

Thanks, MacGyver! With a nickname like that, I'm sure we'd get along! Keep on thinking outside the box! Do you have your heater up and running yet?

Moved from here.

I'm doing the same thing with my 8,000 gallon pool I'm putting up. I ran my natural gas line outside and bought an $80 3.2 gal/min tankless water heater. Should be a fun experiment regardless of whether or not it works. This heater has given me a 38 degree rise at 3 gal/min in my tests, so it can theoretically raise the water 15 degrees in a day. This project also caused me to run a line to my propane grill. I've wanted to convert it to natural gas for a while now and can happily report that it works better than ever!
Did you have to change the orifices?

Thanks, MacGyver! With a nickname like that, I'm sure we'd get along! Keep on thinking outside the box! Do you have your heater up and running yet?
Stew. Great idea with the tankless water heater. Is the unit still holding up? Did you have to replace it yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thought I'd update that the heater fired right up this year, but I decided to swap it out for a bigger one. I found a new Rheem RTG-64XLN 150k BTU heater locally for $100 and had to buy it. The prospect of heating the water 2+ degrees per hour was too tempting.
Wow, did they say " pick it up at this address between these days and bring wire cutters and a hack saw " :)

Thought I'd update that the heater fired right up this year, but I decided to swap it out for a bigger one. I found a new Rheem RTG-64XLN 150k BTU heater locally for $100 and had to buy it. The prospect of heating the water 2+ degrees per hour was too tempting.
You've got the infrastructure there already ... might as well run them in parallel!

LOL, I think I've got my gas line maxed out with the one.
Serious question: what is the worst that can happen if you add them in parallel and go beyond the max allowed by the line? CO generation is unlikely if there is low fuel pressure. Heat output might not be the sum of both heaters but it will max out at some point. I am not suggesting you go against local code, let's be clear about it, but... what is the intent of the code in this case?

Serious question: what is the worst that can happen if you add them in parallel and go beyond the max allowed by the line? CO generation is unlikely if there is low fuel pressure. Heat output might not be the sum of both heaters but it will max out at some point. I am not suggesting you go against local code, let's be clear about it, but... what is the intent of the code in this case?
I'd be the last guy to ask about code. For me it's simply the risk/reward associated with the added complexity of 2 heaters and the fact that the new heater puts out 250% of the energy of the old one.

Reactions: CSE1965 and skola28
I love this idea. Was going to drop $300 on a basic propane setup but with a non-metal housed pump from Amazon with 3.5 gpm for like $45.
But, I am going with natural gas now. Just need to find a heater and 100' gas line run buried.
Pool is a XTR 24' X 12' X 54".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.