Tangled Polaris 380 Pressure too high?

Aug 23, 2018
Atlanta
Polaris 380 repeatedly gets tangled, my length is correct, have replaced the hoses, RPM is correct
noticed that my swivels turn freely when the cleaner is off, But once the cleaner is on (pressurized) the swivels are stiff
Seems i have too much pressure going to the Polaris, my back up valve is very aggressive (pulls backs and turns left and right), spinning and tangling the hose.
Could i have a faulty Quick Disconnect, faulty Back up valve, or do i need to lower the pressure going to the polaris ?
My thought this a pressure issue due to the swivels stiffing & the aggressive back up value
Suggestions appreciated, I am tired of untangling !

You want good pressure and the backup valve should be powerful to actually get it to back up 5-6 feet each time. You may want to replace your pressure relief value on the connector to the wall. I'm having some trouble right now with my Polaris 280 not driving up out of the deep end and I rebuilt the whole thing last year so I'm thinking the pressure relief valve may be the issue. The threads on my quick disconnect are broken so I'm replacing all 3 parts in the same assembly for it to be cheaper. The assemblies also come with some restrictor pieces to allow you to fine tune the pressure.

Also, your hose length may be too long or you may not have the floats on the hose spaced every 3 feet. I had to shorten my hose by cutting off about 9 inches because it kept getting stuck on the ladder. The floats on the hose should keep the entire hose slack floating on top of the pool which reduces the chance of tangling.

If your wheel RPM is within spec then your pressure is in spec. Lowering the pressure will lower wheel RPM.

Are you saying the tangle happens when the backup valve is moving the cleaner around? Have you tried replacing the backup valve?

I have seen posts by people describing how the opened up the backup valve and modified it to be less aggressive.

Greg,

I just installed the new assembly for the pressure relief valve and quick connect this past weekend. I never had one of those red/blue restrictor washers in the threaded hookup before. Now that I have the red one installed, my Polaris is running much better and it actually made my booster pump so much quieter that I can't even tell it is running over the main pump. My Polaris 280 was always running at 31 rpm but would rarely have all wheels on the floor and the new assembly with the restrictor washer made a big difference.

Andy, thanks for the feedback and good information
I did more checking ... crazy me i keep all my old parts. Found my old pressure relief valve had the blue restrictor on it. The one currently installed had No restrictor. I placed the restictor on it, and changed out my swivels. Plus added some WD-40 to the swivels. the 380 is cleaning, and not getting tangled
Just need to change the thrust and get new tires to make it climb the walls more

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.