Taking over regular maintenance - should I start by adjusting PH or CH or...?

Rodric

Nov 18, 2018
Tracy, Ca
Hi,

I'm new to to the forum. I have to say I'm impressed by the helpfulness of the experts here already though. Especially being winter, I am taking over pool maintenance on our pool that has been serviced for the last year. I have read Pool School and bought pool math and an appropriate test kit (with Lesslie store credit) before posting. Also, there was a repair done on the pool a few months ago, so there are two patches of new plaster.

Can I please get your advice on the following numbers? Where would you recommend starting to adjust? Does the calcium level impact PH and should one be done before the other?

11/27 5:14 PM
FC 9.5
CC .8
PH 8.0 +
TA -
CH -
CYA -

11/26 5:10 PM
50 oz 14.5 Muriatic Acid

11/26 4:34 PM
FC 11.0
CC .5
PH 7.8
TA 160
CH 160
CYA 60

11/26 8:45 AM Last pool service - unknown additions

11/18 Noon - Pool Store Test
FC 5.0
CC .2
PH 8.0
TA 120
CH 150
CYA 50

Welcome to TFP.

Don't add acid and CL to the same location at the same time. I don't think adding acid and CH conflict. But I can never remember what conflicts and I just add chemicals 30 minutes apart.

Adding CH should not increase your PH. Your PH is probably rising due to the new plaster curing. Keep on adding MA and knocking your PH down to 7.4 whenever it approaches 8 and monitoring it.

You say your SWG is flakey. Are you maintaining your CL level as a SWG pool or a non-SWG pool? If your SWG is running regularly you can target a FC of 4 with CYA 60. If your SWG is not running regularly then your FC target should be 7-9.

I would monitor your CL and PH and get your CH up between 250 - 300. Calculate your CSI with PoolMath and keep it between 0 & - 3 for new plaster.

Thank you for your response! I’ll work to get those numbers in range.

I thought from my reef keeping days calcium levels levels had some impact on PH, but I don’t recall.

Its currently not not running SWGand has not run in over a year. I’d like to trouble the salt cell next and get it working again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.