Taking forever to lower CC - over 15 days of SLAM!

joshmoch

Apr 6, 2019
Sarasota, FL
Hey all, I have been shocking at 25ppm for 15 days. The pool was fairly green as we were renovating the house and were unable to attend to it. It has been crystal clear for the last 10 days and has passed the overnight chlorine test for the past 7 days. We have been maintaining shock for days now and can't get the CC down. We vaccum every day and brush every day. I have rinsed the filter 4 times throughout the process.

My question is, with all the pollen in the air here in Florida, could that be making my CC what it is?? Should I keep Slamming? I'm starting to get on the first name basis with the pinch-a-penny guys I've bought so much chlorine.....

CYA - 50
FC - 25
CC - 1.5
pH - 7.4 (at start of SLAM)
TA - 110
CH - 260
What Temp - 68 F

Last year we had folks with issues of high CC's that did not make sense.

They cleaned their vials they did the FC/CC testing in with rubbing alcohol.

Magic -- the CC disappeared. You might try cleaning the vial.

Josh,

How are you testing? Please put your pool info at the bottom in your signature. This will help our experts get their best advice to you the soonest.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My question is, with all the pollen in the air here in Florida, could that be making my CC what it is?? Should I keep Slamming? I'm starting to get on the first name basis with the pinch-a-penny guys I've bought so much chlorine.....

Pollen usually floats on the surface. Is it possible you actually see yellow-greenish mustard algae somewhere other than the surface? This could explain the cc.

Chris

I'm not actually seeing the the color of the pollen, but rather the little black pollen granular pieces from the oak trees that fall through the screen sitting on the bottom of the pool.
That could be adding organics that are reacting and consuming FC.

A screen will block UV rays of the sun. CC is burned off by UV.

Were it me I woul dlet teh FC drift down, but keep it on the higher end of recommended and continue to watch the FC/CC. My gut is that teh screen is blocking a lot of your UV, but you may have dirty vials also....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.