Hi, welcome to TFP! It means your pH is about 4.5 or lower. Depending on what the other test results show, a drain and refill may be needed. Has your neighbor used only trichlor tablets for chlorine? How does the water look?
If the TA test turns immediately red, then that means that the pH is 4.5 or below. Not good. Immediate addition of pH Up / Soda Ash / Arm & Hammer Washing Soda / Sodium Carbonate is required.

For example, if I take 10,000 gallons of normal pool water to start with and I simply add 27 3" (8-ounce) Trichlor pucks/tabs to it and use up the chlorine that is produced (around 148 ppm FC or just a couple of months of typical chlorine usage), then I end up with a pH of 4.06 and a TA of -4.1 which would immediately show red on the TA test. I assumed this low pH would drive out most of the carbon dioxide from the pool. This amount of Trichlor also adds about 90 ppm CYA to the pool so in addition to pH adjustment, a partial drain/refill will likely be desireable as well.

To restore the pH to 7.5 when the TA test immediately shows red, it takes about 128 ounces weight (about 14 cups) of pH Up per 10,000 gallons and much of the TA will be restored as well (assuming most of the carbonates were lost to outgassing). It could take more, depending on how low the pH really is and to be safe one can add less and remeasure. After the pH is balanced, it may be necessary to add some Alkalinity Up / Baking Soda to increase the TA, but that's easy to determine by retesting.

Richard

Ok re tested water 2480 Gallons little kids pool. 0 chlorine & 0 CC. ph color was lighter than 6.8, Did TA test 2 drops R-007 than 5 R-008 turned red on first drop. added R-0010 1 drop turned green than 2 drops R-009 turned red again. Borates 0 & CYA 0.

What is the fill water chemistry?

It might be that the fill water has these numbers if it's from a well.

If the fill water is ok, then I would question the zero cyanuric acid level because the drop in TA is usually due to excessive trichlor usage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.