TA too high, everything else is good

May 1, 2018
Jax/Fl
Hi, new here. I’ve been looking through the forum for a long time and it has really shown in how well my pool is looking. Thank you for that!

Here is my question. I got my Taylor K2006 test kit in and ran it through the tests, here are the results:
ph 7.6
TA 190
FC 6.8
CC 0.2
CYA 50 (I live in Florida)

My TA seems really high. Do I need to worry about it with my vinyl pool?
If I do need to worry about it, should I lower pH to 7.0 and add borax to bring it back up? I don’t have a way to aerate.

The pool is crystal clear. Better than it’s ever been in the 2 years I have had it.
Part of me says leave it alone. The dark side says, “Make it perfect.”

I wouldn't go to any special trouble. Just maintain pH and TA will come down on its own.

Also, if that kit is brand new, you might have static electricity buildup on the tip of the R-009, which causes smaller drops, which means more drops, which means falsely high TA readings. Just wipe the tip with a damp paper towel when you use it the next few times and it should correct itself. Pool School - Total Alkalinity

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.