TA Suggestions

Jul 18, 2018
Leola, PA
Hello My Pool Peops,
New to using this forum so bare with me.
I am a bit confused about where my alkalinity should be. Seems like everywhere you go everyone has a different opinion of what range it should fall in between. Mine is currently stuck at 110 which I guess is on the high side but is it? It really has lingered around 100-110 for as long as I've had the pool (6 years). Pool Math App suggests it be between 50-90. But the TF-100 test kit suggests between 100-120. Both of which are supported by TFP. What do you go by here or is it a matter of preference? Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
TA of 50-90 ppm is based on keeping your CSI in a mid-range. Now, if CSI is not your issue, and with vinyl it rarely is, TA has little effect other than as a buffer for your pH. If your pH is stable, then there is little to worry about.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

So if my CSI is high which I believe it Is, where do you suggest bringing my TA levels down to? My CSI levels were very high last year due to hard water and using cal-hypo. I have resorted to using more liquid chlorine and bleach to limit the amount of calcium I add to the pool. I have not tested it yet this year to be honest.

To share your Poolmath data, go to the Gear icon, upper right. Scroll down to Sharing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get 0.36 with the app ----

I think the difference in app and webpage is how the salinity is handled on non-SWCG pools. Minor difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.