TA reading considering CYA levels

MrAl

May 15, 2020
Ozona, Fl
Hi guys. Doing a restart with a fresh fill after a new pebble coat. Looking at my Wet Edge startup instructions and I’m seeing something I haven’t run into before. They’re saying to calculate TA, get your TA and CYA readings, divide cya by 3 then subtract from TA for (True TA) reading. For example... TA 80, CYA 60, so 80-20 is 60 for true TA... thoughts? Any truth to this?

I only see CSI changing depending on what’s entered.
CSI is all that matters. The actual TA is not very relevant. You should not try to maintain any specific TA just to maintain a TA. As long as the pH is stable, and the CSI is good, the TA is fine. A pH of about 7.8 and a TA of about 60 is usually a good starting point for most people.

Reactions: mknauss
Okay, I’ve usually only paid attention to overall CSI as you say, just trying to hit these startup numbers for the first month or so for warranty records. They need printouts of me being at their values.

The levels are not going to be easy to maintain because they are ignorant about the effect of carbon dioxide in the water.

In any case, I would recommend that you keep the TA at 80, the pH at 7.6 and the CYA at 50 assuming the CSI can be kept in range.

Is the TA supposed to be the actual TA or the "Adjusted" TA?

If it's adjusted TA, it only makes the water balance more difficult.

What will be the water temperature during this period?

What kind of print out? My plaster company wanted print outs also when they applied wet edge. I told them I was testing myself so they told me to use the Orenda pool app and send them screen shots. So they got what they needed to see and I followed TFP and used Pool Math to actaully track my stuff.

Reactions: mknauss and Leebo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.