TA raised over the winter - best approach?

miles267

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
Arkansas
Hi - this is first year since we've had pool that we've left it open over the winter. While Pool Math app indicates my CSI is acceptable -0.16, my TA has increased to a level it's never hit before (110). Removed SWCG and moved to liquid chlorine, like usual, during the off season.

This is probably the result of running VSP 24x7 and the aeration caused by the freeze protection turning off/on, etc.

Since my pH is staying steady at 7.8, but the TA is raised, would I still want to add acid to drop the pH down to 7.2 to bring down the TA? Wasn't sure which is worse -- TA being at 110 or if dropping pH to 7.2 (when it won't climb back up to 7.8 again)?

FC 4.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
TA 110 (usually 80)
CH 325
CYA 70 (probably much less, water tool cold to test)
TEMP 46F
CSI -0.16

At this point I wouldn't do either. Based on the colder water, your numbers are just fine. Shortly the water temp will increase and that's when you can consider looking at adjusting the TA (IF) needed. If your pH is happy & steady, that's half the battle. Enjoy! :swim:

Miles,

I agree with Pat... I would not adjust TA just to get to a number.. I would only adjust it if your having problems with pH or if you need to get your CSI in range...

At this point it all looks perfect to me...

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.