TA question

nafreire

Jul 15, 2021
toronto,ontario, canada
It's just a curiosity thing. I have been clear and in range since opening my pool and killing all my algae. I stopped by our local pool store this week to buy some Moratic acid and had them test the water. I was surprised by how similar the results were. My question comes from them telling me that I need to raise my TA to 100-125 from my current 70. They were ignored since 70 is in range. But I'm curious if there is any benefit to being in that range and why they insist 70 is low.

Here are my latest test result using the Taylor kit

FC - 6.0
PH - 7.6
CH - 275
TA - 70
CYA - 45 >>>>> Should I bring this up?
SALT - 3000

All you will do by following their TA recommendation is get to add a lot of acid to remove that TA you add.

They use elevated TA ranges as it is based on using trichlor. They do not adjust their chemistry levels based on pool type, chlorinating method, etc. That is their problem.

A CYA of 50 (round up) will likely work in your northern climate. If FC loss per day is 3 ppm or less, leave it be.

Reactions: jedigrover
Awesome. I have been clear all season since I opened in late April. One quick question. If I always keep my water balanced, do I ever need to SLAM/Shock. The other thing they told me is I should have already shocked since I opened in late April. Why would I need to if water is clear? I'm assuming it's another way for them to make money, since the only thing I get from them is my muriatic acid.

You don't need to shock if you are keeping your FC/CYA Levels correct. The "shock" methodology promulgated by pool stores is based partly on old understanding, partly on myth, partly on the desire to sell products, and mostly on outdated methods of maintaining a pool.

With TFP, regardless of liquid chlorine or SWG, the goal is to keep the FC/CYA ratio balanced and keep chlorine going in the pool on a continuing basis. By doing so, you avoid outbreaks of algae. If you do have an outbreak, you use SLAM Process to clean it up and then go on as usual. The pool store method is more dump & pray and they promote "shocking" as insurance.

You have a SWG, which works nicely for keeping a nice consistent dose of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.