TA is too high

Tjt

Jul 15, 2018
North Iowa
First time opening. Ph was 7.5 when I started with 0 CYA and 0 FC. These are numbers from my TF100 kit after 3 days.
FC 11.5 not dropping over night
CC 0-0.5
CH 225-250
TA 320
CYA 20
I have only added 3 gallons liquid chlorine once and FC hasn't dropped. Been adding CYA granules (sock in skimmer) and slowly going up. Pool bottom is still dirty, not green, and have been brushing, but cannot see bottom drains as water is cloudy. Water temp is 58 degrees and very little sun and cover has been on most of the day/night. Do I need to let FC go down to test ph and add acid then aerate to lower TA and if so how much at a time? Just use the pool math to determine? How do I lower FC when its not going down overnight?

Welcome! :wave: I would focus on completing the SLAM Process before adjusting the TA. I would also leave the pool cover off to expose the water and let the sun's UV to help with the process. Since you're not experiencing much on an FC drop at the moment, you may be having a filtration issue. Do you know when the last time the sand was deep cleaned? Once the SLAM is complete, the FC will fall on its own. Your water is still a bit chilly, with lots of cover from the sun, which is why it's so slow to fall.

TA is the last thing you worry about when everything else is perfect and you're bored. It doesn't contribute to cloudiness, it doesn't cause algae growth.

It sounds like you need to work on circulation and filtering. If you can aim the returns down to keep the sediment in circulation so the skimmer can grab it, great. Or if there is no main drain, maybe connect the vacuum and leave it on the bottom but sideways to pull in the dirty stuff as it settles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.