TA is high....Chlorine is a little high....everything else seems fine

mayberry32

Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2019
Watkinsville, GA
So, I'm new to this. Pool has been completed a few weeks and I'm testing almost daily, just to see what changes occur. 34,000 gal vinyl inground saltwater pool. My TA today is 120. My Free and Total Chlorine is 5.5. I lowered my SWCG to 60% yesterday because it was even higher. Thinking I might should adjust the SWCG down to 50% and see what that does, but want to check here first. My salt levels are around 3000. CYA is right at 60. pH seems a little high. From my test kit, it looks to be 7.8 or a little higher. It's not quite as dark as the 8.2, but definitely looks a little darker than 7.8. I added 1 gal of muriatic acid last week and it went down to 7.2. The next day it was back up to 7.8. So, it's wanting to run high. So, if I want to lower my pH, lower my TA to desired levels and get my chlorine down a bit, what all do I need to do?

I would leave your SWCG set as is for now. A FC of 5.5 is not high. You will be lowering your %setting as we get into fall.

Keep lowering your pH to 7.4 when it gets to 8. The TA will lower over time.

Whatever the amount calculated by Poolmath. Be sure to enter the TA into Poolmath as that makes a difference on acid volumes to lower pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.