TA high, can I lower PH below 7.2 for off season?

CoolHome

Jun 6, 2020
Crawfordsville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We’re done with the pool until May. I’ve semi-closed it, meaning it’s covered but I’ll be maintaining balance and running the pump until the freeze comes. We use well water and my TA usually starts high. At the beginning of the summer I lower the PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.6. With the kids in splashing around a lot it usually gets down to 100-125 fairly quickly. This year it got to 125 but then we didn’t swim a lot in late summer. Now it’s back up to 150 (since no one was swimming I want monitoring PH as much and it got up to 7.8, I’m assuming V that’s what raised my TA).

I don’t know if it matters, it will be closed in earnest in about 6 weeks, but I wondered about lowering the PH a LOT since no one is swimming in it. Perhaps it would lower TA and help it all not be as high next summer? I’m just not sure if a low PH could cause other problems? Also, just under half the pool will be drained when I winterize it sooo…. Maybe 2000ish fresh gallons of well water in the summer would negate anything I did now anyway? Just curious if anyone thought it would be helpful and if so how much to lower? What if I did PH of 6?

Pool is an 18’, 6000 gallon Coleman frame pool. I use a 3000gph pump with sand filter. Current numbers are:

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.6
CYA 40 (but so close I’ve been pretending it’s 50 to be safe)
TA 150
CH 300

Your numbers right now look quite good. No reason to waste a lot of time or chemicals just to lower a TA if the pH remains in the 7.8 or lower range. I'd just relax and leave it. Next year if your TA is elevated, let the pH rise to about 7.8 - 8.0 before attacking it with muriatic acid to lower it to about 7.2. You should see better results on the TA that way.

Reactions: CoolHome
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.