LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Still learning everything about the pool chemistry. So my TA comes to be at 310 . I'm in process of lowering it with acid and aerating. So my question is when I hit the mark on TA I will not be able to use water fountain anymore? Cause if I use it , it will lower TA more and raise PH. So then to lower PH I will have to add acid again. Am I missing something

Using the fountain won't effect your TA, but it can effect the pH (increase it). So continue to lower the TA with the acid/aeration method. Once you believe the TA is lowered enough (let's use 120 as an example), monitor the pH to see how fast it increases throughout the week. If the pH climbs too fast, lower the TA a little more. There is no perfect TA number, so anything from 60 and above can work.

And honestly unless your CSI is super-high you can just let TA come down with time and pH reductions.

Make sure you’re wiping the tip of the R-0009 reagent before the test and between each drop in case there’s a static charge in it - sometimes that can cause TA to read artificially high.

Using the fountain won't effect your TA, but it can effect the pH (increase it). So continue to lower the TA with the acid/aeration method. Once you believe the TA is lowered enough (let's use 120 as an example), monitor the pH to see how fast it increases throughout the week. If the pH climbs too fast, lower the TA a little more. There is no perfect TA number, so anything from 60 and above can work.
So water fountain is not a good aeration method to lower TA? I made something similar to this out of PVC
61a0gxIasCL.jpg

Still learning everything about the pool chemistry. So my TA comes to be at 310 . I'm in process of lowering it with acid and aerating. So my question is when I hit the mark on TA I will not be able to use water fountain anymore? Cause if I use it , it will lower TA more and raise PH. So then to lower PH I will have to add acid again. Am I missing something
What you're looking for is the PH to not raise substantially during "normal" use :)
You'll find your pool's "comfortable" TA there :)

That fountain might help raise the pH a little. Perhaps not as good as if it were pointing directly down and into the water though. You really want to agitate the water if possible.
I can replace the PVC to anything I want. So if I build one that looks like a kitchen faucet this will work better? I use 2" pvc. Should I just leave the exit at 2" or put a reduction there for smaller exit so faster water stream?

That fountain might help raise the pH a little. Perhaps not as good as if it were pointing directly down and into the water though. You really want to agitate the water if possible.
I can replace the PVC to anything I want. So if I build one that looks like a kitchen faucet this will work better? I use 2" pvc. Should I just leave the exit at 2" or put a reduction there for smaller exit so faster water stream?

I can replace the PVC to anything I want. So if I build one that looks like a kitchen faucet this will work better?
I would think so. I did the same thing with PVC, so my fountain is almost identical to yours. You ca experiment with pointing the sprinkler configuration directly into the water, or replacing that method with more of a faucet type, or any combination of those. The important thing is it generates lots or water movement and aeration to increase the pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.