Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
UPDATE: Go to Page 4 for finished install.

My theory is that the top option (the Y) will result in less pressure being put on the auto-fill valve (because the Y is going against the flow of water) and perhaps extend it's life.

However, the bottom option (the T) is the way that the manufacturer shows the install in the brochure.

Thoughts?

pool-options.png

Last edited:
My theory is that the top option (the Y) will result in less pressure being put on the auto-fill valve (because the Y is going against the flow of water) and perhaps extend it's life.

However, the bottom option (the T) is the way that the manufacturer shows the install in the brochure.

Thoughts?

pool-options.png

Thoughts?

View attachment 476854
You dont want to use dwv fittings, Does a pressure rated schedule 40 wye even exist? Edit: I guess they do but they are spendy, much more than the hunter pgv valve rebuild kits lol.
In looking at the install instructions for the konalabs levelsmart, they don't talk about a backflow being needed but their faq's do. You will want to make sure you install proper backflow protection so when/if the pgv valve fails you are not pushing pool water into your house supply.

Last edited:
The Kona Labs installation guide says:

Plumb the valve into the designated water fill line,
or “T” it into the pool return plumbing after the filter
and pump equipment from a nearby water
source. You can use a water spigot, or “T” off of
a nearby irrigation line or similar.

I would use a dedicated water fill line and not plumb it between the filter and return.

I do not see how the house water pressure can always be greater then the pool water pressure for water to flow in the proper direction.

They also make no mention of a Back Flow Preventer - Further Reading which is required.

You may want to follow these threads about autofills and backflow preventers...

Interesting enough they mention it nowhere in the install manual but show one in the user manual image
I never got to that manual. Their sketchy Installation Guide lost me. :roll:

You dont want to use dwv fittings, Does a pressure rated schedule 40 wye even exist? Edit: I guess they do but they are spendy, much more than the hunter pgv valve rebuild kits lol.
In looking at the install instructions for the konalabs levelsmart, they don't talk about a backflow being needed but their faq's do. You will want to make sure you install proper backflow protection so when/if the pgv valve fails you are not pushing pool water into your house supply.

Hi there. Yes I am going to install a backflow preventer (pressure vacuum breaker), however from my research these backflow preventers do not do well in preventing pressurized backflow (they prevent siphon backflow). Thus my idea about the Y.

I would use a dedicated water fill line and not plumb it between the filter and return.

I do not see how the house water pressure can always be greater then the pool water pressure for water to flow in the proper direction.

The concern I had with introducing it into the return line is pouring cold water into the just-heated water from the heater. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

You may want to follow these threads about autofills and backflow preventers...

Thank you, already have the vacuum backflow preventer in the cart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi there. Yes I am going to install a backflow preventer (pressure vacuum breaker), however from my research these backflow preventers do not do well in preventing pressurized backflow (they prevent siphon backflow). Thus my idea about the Y.

Is this for the AG pool for IG pool in your signature?

Install the autofull in a dedicated autofill line and then you don't need to worry about pressurized backflow.

No other autofill vendor recommends installing the fill valve within the pool pump water system, I think for good reasons.

Is this for the AG pool for IG pool in your signature?

Install the autofull in a dedicated autofill line and then you don't need to worry about pressurized backflow.

No other autofill vendor recommends installing the fill valve within the pool pump water system, I think for good reasons.

This is for the IG pool.

I would love to add a dedicated fill-line but this is a 50 year old pool with 8" of concrete, rebar and pavers surrounding the pool in all directions (they built pools like tanks back then, apparently). I recently had a small leak and the leak repair company couldn't believe how thick the concrete walls of the pool were. It would be a significant expense to add another line at this point and the KonaLabs auto-leveler has excellent reviews so I figured i'd give it a try.

The concern I had with introducing it into the return line is pouring cold water into the just-heated water from the heater. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

How often do you think your autofill will run?

The "cold" autofill water will mix with the pool water at one point of another. It all ends up in the same body of water. That is not a concern.

You are overthinking and over designing your autofill. It is a simple pipe to dump water into the pool when the water level is low.

Reactions: microscopes
Post pics of your pool equipment pad you want to add the autofil to.

That pic does not show the return area.

Like I said, no other manufacturer recommends placing an alive in that place. I think Kano’s directions are sketchy and not well thought out. They are trying to differentiate their product and as a small company does not need to be as concerned with the consequences.

That pic does not show the return area.

Like I said, no other manufacturer recommends placing an alive in that place. I think Kano’s directions are sketchy and not well thought out. They are trying to differentiate their product and as a small company does not need to be as concerned with the consequences.

I appreciate you giving your thoughts. Thank you very much! I don't really know what to do other than KonaLabs. Running a return line is going to cost me close to ten thousand dollars due to the obstacles and amount of concrete in the way. I have a lot to think about.

Pool Kings (from the HGTV show) puts them on their pools.

Last edited:
Pool Kings (from the HGTV show) puts them on their pools.

Where, exactly, does Pool Kings install the valve?

In any new build the valve can be put in a dedicated autofill line and then it is not an issue.

Last edited:
Where, exactly, does Pool Kings install the valve?

In any new build the valve can be put in a dedicated autofill line and then it is not an issue.

Yeah I think they put them on dedicated auto-fill return lines.

What are you thinking is the biggest possible issue that could arise from putting it on the main return line?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.