T A issue

glassparnut

Jul 8, 2021
Santa Rosa Ca
Great site here and thanks for adding me!! Bought a small, Bestway 12X22, 6K gallon, above ground pool from Costco last summer. It doesnt get much use, but nice to have on hot days here in California. I used a simple 2 way PH/Chlorine test kit, and was able to keep it looking good with that. THEN, decided to have Leslies do a test on my water sample, and it came back as my T A was very high. They said I needed a total of 19LBS of dry acid to correct the imbalance!! I had never even checked that before, but went ahead and followed their advice. I could not understand how adding that much acid would not throw off the ph, but started adding 12oz of dry acid a couple times a day. Spent a small fortune on their recommended chemicals, and checked my water everyday using test strips. Now, 2 weeks later, the Dang TA is STILL showing high, the ph is low, and seems like I am chasing my tail in a vicious circle adding ACID, then adding SODA ASH to try and keep PH in balance. Had the water retested at Leslies, and although T A came back slightly better, the printout said I still needed ANOTHER 13 lbs of ACID..... Im thinkin they just want to sell their chemicals, so turned to the internet. Thats when I found this site, and first learned of the air-ation (sp?) method to lower the TA in the Pool School. Not sure the stock wimpy pump in my pool has enough power to make bubbles, but considering trying that next, unless anyone has a better idea? Attached is the latest Leslies print out...... the high chlorine level is due to the fact I had just shocked the water the day before the sample was taken, but it has come down to acceptable level now. Still showing hi T C on my test strips though.... arrgh! Im still wanting to understand the expensive, acid/ soda ash crazieness cycle I have now found my self in...... for a layman!! Thanks again for a great site here!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9074.jpg
    IMG_9074.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to TFP :)

Do not worry about TA... It will come down when you drop PH... When PH reaches 7.8 to 8 drop it to 7.2.. That is it.. Run your pool like a seasonal pool and you will be great :)

You are right they are trying to sell chemicals... Also, do not use dry acid... use muriatic acid from home depot or lowes, it is easier and works better and its cheaper.. :)

use PoolMath to know what to put in your pool :)

Reactions: glassparnut
Welcome to the forum!
Casey gave you the link to the Seasonal pool article. You will need to drain the pool to start over if you wish to follow that process.

If you do not wish to drain the pool when an issue arises, then you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100 or the Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: glassparnut
Welcome to the forum!
Casey gave you the link to the Seasonal pool article. You will need to drain the pool to start over if you wish to follow that process.

If you do not wish to drain the pool when an issue arises, then you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100 or the Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
yea, draining the pool is not an option cause we are under water restrictions here in Ca due to drought. They dont even want you to "top up" your pool!! I was curious about how the tap water would test compared to my pool water, and interestingly, the TA of the tap water is in the "ideal" range on the test strip! I learned that these test strips are not a accurate way to check, but needed a baseline to use as I "adjusted" things to Leslies recommendations. Shopping for a proper test kit now- thanks for the link!!!!

I love the TF 100, it is a great and easy to use kit.... treated my right the last 9 years.. Every spring they have a sale to get new reagents :)

I love the TF 100, it is a great and easy to use kit.... treated my right the last 9 years.. Every spring they have a sale to get new reagents :)
again, Thanks Casey!! Leslies wants big bucks for their 6 way test kit, and even the little replacement ph and chlorine bottles are like 10 bucks apiece!!! Def shopping around, but since you have had yours for 9 YEARS, I gotta ask, does the test tube colors fade or change over time? I keep mine in the box and inside a garden shed but wondering if the whole test kit has a shelf life?

again, Thanks Casey!! Leslies wants big bucks for their 6 way test kit, and even the little replacement ph and chlorine bottles are like 10 bucks apiece!!! Def shopping around, but since you have had yours for 9 YEARS, I gotta ask, does the test tube colors fade or change over time? I keep mine in the box and inside a garden shed but wondering if the whole test kit has a shelf life?
She said she has it for 9 years but they expire @2 years and you just buy the regents and keep the rest going.

I see a Taylor K-1003 for 20 bucks on Amazon...is this any good? Says it does 100 tests, but seems scary cheap
You want a TF100 or a K2006C everything else you will have to buy more parts to get what those 2 kits have.. it ends up costing more money buying each part..

Test Kits Compared

I buy new reagents every 1.5 to 2 years depending... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.