Switching to Salt Water

Considering where this pool started (and this was a few days into the start of the SLAM - Switching to Salt Water - Page 4), it certainly makes me smile :D :goodjob: :whoot: :party:

Yes I am smiling..lol :D I definitely did not think it would take this long to get it to look like it does today. It has taken 17 days and its still a little cloudy in the deep end but I can see the bottom and bottom drain pretty good. Hopefully it will clear up completely in a day or two. I hope when I do the overnight test it shows that I'm good.. If not I'll keep adding chlorine. But a big thanks to everyone that has helped me so far! But had I listen to the pool stores I'd be out hundreds and possibly still have a green pool. So I am glad I found this site.

Yes I am smiling..lol :D I definitely did not think it would take this long to get it to look like it does today. It has taken 17 days and its still a little cloudy in the deep end but I can see the bottom and bottom drain pretty good. Hopefully it will clear up completely in a day or two. I hope when I do the overnight test it shows that I'm good.. If not I'll keep adding chlorine. But a big thanks to everyone that has helped me so far! But had I listen to the pool stores I'd be out hundreds and possibly still have a green pool. So I am glad I found this site.

When pools start off where yours pool did, 17 days is not at all uncommon. There's so much algae and organic waste to clear out that it simply takes a lot of time. The good news is this, when you get it clear and you follow the TFPC method, you will likely never have to SLAM the pool again. There are people on TFP who had pools just like yours, SLAM'ed them and are now on their 7th or 8th year without ever having cloudy water or algae anywhere in their pools. I had a cloudy water issue a couple of years back and SLAM'ed for 3 days (cloudy water is typically faster to clear than green water). I have not ever had to SLAM since.

So, at the end of the day, this will be time well spent and you can rest assured that the water your family is swimming in is the absolute cleanest and healthiest water possible. I see some of the pools my neighbors have and they totally let their kids swim in cloudy pools that stink to high heaven of CCs. I wouldn't even stick my toe in a pool like that let alone allow my kids to swim in it.

When pools start off where yours pool did, 17 days is not at all uncommon. There's so much algae and organic waste to clear out that it simply takes a lot of time. The good news is this, when you get it clear and you follow the TFPC method, you will likely never have to SLAM the pool again. There are people on TFP who had pools just like yours, SLAM'ed them and are now on their 7th or 8th year without ever having cloudy water or algae anywhere in their pools. I had a cloudy water issue a couple of years back and SLAM'ed for 3 days (cloudy water is typically faster to clear than green water). I have not ever had to SLAM since.

So, at the end of the day, this will be time well spent and you can rest assured that the water your family is swimming in is the absolute cleanest and healthiest water possible. I see some of the pools my neighbors have and they totally let their kids swim in cloudy pools that stink to high heaven of CCs. I wouldn't even stick my toe in a pool like that let alone allow my kids to swim in it.

Yeah I'm glad I found this site because without it I would have been listening to the pool stores and while they do get the water cleared up, I always fight algae the whole season. But after finding this site I see why. I'm 100% positive I never got rid of the algae to begin with. Even if I had to do a slam every other year it would be better than buying all those chemicals that really never helped..lol But from what I'm reading if I keep my chemicals in order no algae should ever be able to grow. So hopefully I'll have some algae and trouble free seasons ahead. I know what your saying about people swimming in cloudy water that smells like bleach. I have a friend that has an above ground pool and its constantly getting cloudy. I told him about this site but he thinks I have used entirely too much chlorine these last couple of days. But maybe he will change his mind once he sees my pool is trouble free...

Yeah I'm glad I found this site because without it I would have been listening to the pool stores and while they do get the water cleared up, I always fight algae the whole season. But after finding this site I see why. I'm 100% positive I never got rid of the algae to begin with. Even if I had to do a slam every other year it would be better than buying all those chemicals that really never helped..lol But from what I'm reading if I keep my chemicals in order no algae should ever be able to grow. So hopefully I'll have some algae and trouble free seasons ahead. I know what your saying about people swimming in cloudy water that smells like bleach. I have a friend that has an above ground pool and its constantly getting cloudy. I told him about this site but he thinks I have used entirely too much chlorine these last couple of days. But maybe he will change his mind once he sees my pool is trouble free...

The best advertisement is personal! Your friend thinks it's too much bleach because he doesn't understand the chemistry behind keeping a pool clear. He's under the same false notion that the pool industry constantly pushes that all you need is some minimal amount of FC (1-3ppm) and the rest is taken care of by adjunct (and expensive) chemicals. Very few people understand that the stabilizer that is in pool products acts as a chlorine buffer and reduces the free available chlorine. Too much stabilizer, and you allow your pool water to become hospitable to microorganisms. Too little stabilizer, and the water becomes over-chlorinated and harsh. The pool industry teaches people that all you need to do is look at chlorine and pH and nothing else matters....that's totally false and that is the main reason why people struggle with pool care and then grow to hate swimming pools. I know so many people who literally hate their swimming pools or swear they will never own. When I ask why, the number one reason is that it's too expensive and difficult to take care of. When I tell them what amount of money and time I spend on my pool, they either think I'm a liar or that there is something wrong with my pool....sad.

You'll wow everyone that swims in your pool. Invite your friend over for a pool party when it's all cleaned up and keep a couple of TFP business cards lying around....maybe he'll get the hint ;)

This has been a great thread for me, even though I hope after following everything I learned here, I never have to slam. I have been waiting patiently for months to replaster my pool, but I feel that I will be very well prepared once it's done to maintain my pool. This thread like many others of been very interesting and educational for me. It's amazing to watch a pool go from one state to the other. Congratulations on your persistence and accomplishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best advertisement is personal! Your friend thinks it's too much bleach because he doesn't understand the chemistry behind keeping a pool clear. He's under the same false notion that the pool industry constantly pushes that all you need is some minimal amount of FC (1-3ppm) and the rest is taken care of by adjunct (and expensive) chemicals. Very few people understand that the stabilizer that is in pool products acts as a chlorine buffer and reduces the free available chlorine. Too much stabilizer, and you allow your pool water to become hospitable to microorganisms. Too little stabilizer, and the water becomes over-chlorinated and harsh. The pool industry teaches people that all you need to do is look at chlorine and pH and nothing else matters....that's totally false and that is the main reason why people struggle with pool care and then grow to hate swimming pools. I know so many people who literally hate their swimming pools or swear they will never own. When I ask why, the number one reason is that it's too expensive and difficult to take care of. When I tell them what amount of money and time I spend on my pool, they either think I'm a liar or that there is something wrong with my pool....sad.

You'll wow everyone that swims in your pool. Invite your friend over for a pool party when it's all cleaned up and keep a couple of TFP business cards lying around....maybe he'll get the hint ;)

Oh i definitely will be inviting people over. I'm 100% sold on this site. Without you all I would have spent tons of money and never gotten to where I am today. When I have the extra cash I will be donating more to keep this site going because it's a great site filled with a bunch of good people willing to help. By the way how do I go about printing these business cards. Lol. I'll definitely hand them out. Lol. But here's some pictures today. The deep end looks a lot better. Not quite there but shouldn't be long.
image_zps6ai7ehgu.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsq8jtwhlr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

This has been a great thread for me, even though I hope after following everything I learned here, I never have to slam. I have been waiting patiently for months to replaster my pool, but I feel that I will be very well prepared once it's done to maintain my pool. This thread like many others of been very interesting and educational for me. It's amazing to watch a pool go from one state to the other. Congratulations on your persistence and accomplishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. It's been a lot of work to get here but well worth it. I can tell you what they say on this site about pool stores is true. Especially around Pensacola Florida. Lol. It is nice to know There are people willing to help that don't have an alternative motive and the most awesome part about it is it works. It has saved me a ton of money. I can honestly say other than buying chemicals and supplies I won't rely on the pool store for anything else!!

So I got up this morning and my pool is really clear didn't have a chance to take any pictures but I believe I'm going to pass the quarter test. I also went ahead and did the overnight test last night just to see and my chlorine was at 25 ppm last night. This morning guess where it was? That's right 25ppm with 0cc!!!! That is a great feeling. I went ahead and added half a gallon of Chlorine to the pool for today bc it's supposed to be sunny and I'm sure I need stabilizer bc of all the water I've had to add due to vacuuming. But I think I am done with the slam. I'm going to do the overnight test one more time tonight just to be sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats!! If the clarity is where you want it to be, then you're done!!

Let your FC drift down to normal levels and don't bother measuring anything until you FC is below 10ppm. Nothing bad will happen while you're waiting for it to come down. Once you get a full set of test results, we can help you balance the rest of the numbers if you need help with that.

Next up - lets clean up those steps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I kinda feel the water could be clearer. I mean it's clear. I see the bottom drain really well but I wanted to do the quarter test which I'm sure it will pass. So I'll see when I get home if it looks any better. It could have just been the lighting that makes me thing it could be a little clearer because the sun was just coming up. Yes! Those steps look horrible. Lol

Ok. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

HAPPY DAY! What a ride it has been but you did it!

Wait until you look out and wonder where your water has gone! LOL (yes I did that one day.......it was THAT clear and still!)

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

HAPPY DAY! What a ride it has been but you did it!

Wait until you look out and wonder where your water has gone! LOL (yes I did that one day.......it was THAT clear and still!)

Kim

Ok so I got home and just as I suspected.. It had to be the light because my pool pretty clear! I did the quarter test and it passed. So I'm doing one more overnight test and tomorrow I should be good to stop the slam!!!!!!!:D:D Here are some pictures

IMG_3439_zps7msad1f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3438_zps3mywee0i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now I'm off to vacuum pool since I can't keep leaves out of it for 1 day!!!lol THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Ok so not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not.......I got my salt test in today and its reading 4200ppm. I put 3 bags less than what the manual for the salt cell called for. My salt system is reading 4300 but I just turned it on after vacuuming and its saying chlorinating. I turned it back off because I was just testing to see if it was going to work. I know I need to wait until my chlorine levels come down before turning it on but is that too much salt? If so will it hurt being that high or do I need to lower it somehow.. I can only guess the way to lower is to drain water.lol Could the chlorine being at 25ppm be messing with the salt reading?

It's fine. SWGs have a very wide operational range and are not as affected by high salt levels (low salt is worse). You probably have higher than expected salt levels because both bleach, muriatic acid and municipal fill water all add chloride (Cl-) to the water.

It will probably drift down over time from rain water dilution (if you have to drain water off the pool) and backwashing.

It's fine. SWGs have a very wide operational range and are not as affected by high salt levels (low salt is worse). You probably have higher than expected salt levels because both bleach, muriatic acid and municipal fill water all add chloride (Cl-) to the water.

It will probably drift down over time from rain water dilution (if you have to drain water off the pool) and backwashing.

Ok thank you! Now its just a waiting to get the chlorine down. I have a feeling this is going to go pretty quick because I can't think for a second there is any stabilizer left in the pool because of all the backwashing and vacuuming to waste. I've had to add quite a bit of water everyday. Scared to see my water bill!!lol But as soon as its below 10ppm I will post a complete list of readings. Hopefully its not as bad as I think its going to be.lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.