Switching to Robot from Pressure side - what to do with line and pump

InvaderZim

Bronze Supporter
Apr 13, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm thinking about switching to a robot from a Polaris 280, which just lost a wheel and is spinning in circles. Is it really necessary to cap off the lines and remove the booster pump?

Seems like I could just program the Polaris pump to never come on except when it's in "freeze protect mode" maybe 2-3 times over the winter.

My main concern with switching to a robot is having a cord running into the pool. I have an outlet at the house and an outlet behind the pool but either way, the cord crosses a walkway.

Has anyone considered repurposing the Polaris pressure line to run 12V power to the pool? That is, remove the booster pump, and use the existing plumbing to channel a large-gauge 12-volt power line with a watertight quick-disconnect 12V plug just below the waterline that the Robot can connect to? Distance from the pad to the pool would be the only concern for a 12V run.

But back to reality: is it necessary to remove the booster pump?

I just make the switch and debated that :) But the end of the cord is about 1" think and about 2" long so would be very hard to get through the pipe..
I have mine on a corner of the pool and used one of those commercial cord covers, doesn't look bad and will keep folks from tripping over it
Mine was pressure side but used existing pump, I am just going to plug the line at the pump.
If you have to worry about freezing etc I would remove and plug the booster pump.

Also you won't regret switching :) I bought the pentair warrior ( re branded dolphin active 20 ) from marina and like it so far..Picks up a lot of fine stuff the old polaris just stirred up

Reactions: InvaderZim
Thanks! I just ordered a S200 from Marina as well. I think I figured out a way to make the cord unobtrusive by running as 12-gauge extension cord from a yard outlet behind a retaining wall through a rotted-wood concrete expansion joint to a place behind my slide where the robot can hang out for the rare occasions when it won't be in the water. I have a rainproof big plastic yard box with a hinged lid hidden behind the slide where the pool chemicals live and was going to drill holes for the power cord but realized that putting the power supply in the same box that holds chlorine pucks and acid might not be the best environment for it. So I guess I'll be getting another little box for that. Maybe I can find one the right size and shape so the robot can live in there as well.

I left my Polaris outlet where it is and just use it for a return, but also using the Polaris wall fitting we made a simple fountain and attached the end of the Polaris cleaner to it and now that fountain snaps in and out when we want a little drama...or to raise our pH.

Maddie :flower:

I left my Polaris outlet where it is and just use it for a return, but also using the Polaris wall fitting we made a simple fountain and attached the end of the Polaris cleaner to it and now that fountain snaps in and out when we want a little drama...or to raise our pH.

Maddie :flower:
That’s what I may do, mine feeds before the heater but shouldn’t really matter unless I am heating the spa.
I screwed a “eye” into it so it looks normal anyway.

You need to run a dedicated GFCI .... have one run out near the pool in an inconspicuous place.
Thanks for the reminder -- I checked and the outlet by the back fence is a GFCI outlet in a weatherproof case -- steel pipe comes out of the ground. I vaguely remember having it installed when everything was torn up for the pool in 2006 -- I believe all outside outlets must be GFCI-protected (or that's what I was told). There won't be any possibility of the cord being pulled into the pool -- I'll make sure of that by fastening the end down. If this all works out, I will make it permanent by getting an electrician to tap into that outlet and running a pipe the 50 feet or so along the fence to the back of a retaining wall about 10 feet from where the robot will live. I want it all up to code.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in this situation, too. Boost pump was dead when we moved in 2 years ago, and have been manually vacuuming with suction pump until we got our Warrior SE recently. I'm about to pull the boost pump, blow the water out of the pressure line to the pool, and cap it off both ends. I don't ever plan to use it again. The hope is I'll have even more water pressure at the returns.

The PVC plumbing changes will be minimal it seems.

I'm also considering switching to a robot. My Polaris pump is on the return and I get flow through it even with the pump off. So its basically another return line and helps to circulate the water. I'll probably just leave the pump too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.