Switching my intex pump to a Hayward -- what about the hoses?

ioinva

Jun 3, 2020
VA
My 12" sand filter from Intex did not seem to manage to move the vacuum, and will not be able to move water through a planned heater. So... I have invested in a new 2-speed 1HP Hayward pump (Matrix PowerFlow) and an 18" Pro Series filter, filled with the fancy acrylic balls. Then, i figured the flow though my pool ports (Intex Prism 15'x48" round has 1.25" ports) were still restricting the flow, so I added a Hayward skimmer on the wall (yes, I cut the wall!) and widened the port for the water return to fit the 1.5" eye that came with the skimmer. I added the necessary electric power for the new pump, but when it came to connecting the pump, I realized that the 1.5" Intex hoses for my sand pump does not seem to work.

So: I now have my Intex pump connected to the big Hayward filter and the skimmer -- the later through a somewhat unstable friction - based connection that inspires 0 confidence. The flow has doubled with just this change!

Can anyone recommend the hoses and adaptors I need to connect this Hayward Matrix Power Flow pump to the Hayward skimmer and Hayward Pro Series filter? I keep scanning Amazon aimlessly and taking wild guesses and the pump and skimmer manuals give me no indication...

And, since I still have the two 1.25" returns in the side of the pool, what is the best way to cap those small returns? I used the original caps settled inside the original intake ports, but whenever the flow through the skimmer is disrupted (say, I remove the basket for cleaning), those 2 ports drip water. Not huge, but some. There has to be a better way.

I got you, just recommended the same exact thing for another Intex pool.. :)

To connect to the pool with 1.5 inch pipe is easy.. I did a skimmer and suction side cleaner and 2 returns...

Use these to connect to the pool and slip pipe on the outside, it will also fit the skimmer and depending on the pump they will fit it also.. mine have been leak free for 9 years... :)

• Love
Reactions: Newdude and ioinva
And, since I still have the two 1.25" returns in the side of the pool, what is the best way to cap those small returns? I used the original caps settled inside the original intake ports, but whenever the flow through the skimmer is disrupted (say, I remove the basket for cleaning), those 2 ports drip water. Not huge, but some. There has to be a better way.

I plugged my two 1.25" returns with a Barb PVC Poly Pipe plug and a hose clamp on the outside.

Reactions: ioinva
I got you, just recommended the same exact thing for another Intex pool.. :)

To connect to the pool with 1.5 inch pipe is easy.. I did a skimmer and suction side cleaner and 2 returns...

Use these to connect to the pool and slip pipe on the outside, it will also fit the skimmer and depending on the pump they will fit it also.. mine have been leak free for 9 years... :)

Awesome setup! Are you using the A/B ports for the return lines? Then the skimmer and original return port for the suction lines?

Reactions: Pherreal
Here's where I ended: I did not replace the Intex pump, but did add the skimmer, replaced the return to a true 1.5" Harwayd return and added a big, fat 18" Hayward sand filter (with fluffy balls inside). Then, I used the old water intake holes to run a completely separate solar heating circuit using the wimpy pump that shipped with the pool. I have had no need to SLAM or shock the pool despite storms and kids parties, for the entire season. It's amazing what good flow does to a pool!

This does everything I was hoping, minus the extended season. Without a 220V circuit, or gas lines, I can;t bring a heater. But no electrician will bring a 220V close to an Intex pool, even if I did manage to bond it. The potential for error is too great. Now. Looking for a home for that Hayward Matrix dual speed 1HP pump I cannot use, also because of the bonding issues. The Intex pump is double insulated to compensate for that risk, so we decided to stay with it. Maybe next year we will figure out how to bond the pool, or get a more permanent solution.

Thank you all for your help!!! Here's a visual of that Intex pump running the big filter. (The Hayward pump is not connected)IMG-0656.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.