switching from Salt to Chlorine

I recently switched back to Liquid Chlorine after having been on salt since 1993. I had my pool refinished and the plasterer asked me to refrain from adding salt for 90-180 days, I had forgotten how easy it is to maintain the pool with liquid.
I sat down and did the math, for me salt was much, much more expensive. Yes, true it is a little easier and it certainly makes it much easier to go on vacation but with salt I had to run my pool circulation pump for 10-12 hours a day, on liquid chlorine I'm running it 5-6 hours a day.
Over the past 21 years on salt I was endlessly replacing either the controller or cell every other year and they aren't cheap. In fact one of the main reasons I haven't gone back to salt(I still may), is my salt system is several years old and i would feel better replacing the entire thing at a cost of about $1000-$1200, plus the cost of the salt($200).
I just got back from a 10 day vacation and I was nervous the whole time I was gone, no one understands this pool the way I understand it, I never would have to worry on salt, I could leave for 30+ days with no worry, just set it and forget it, having someone do a cursory check once every 7-10 days.
Being on liquid chlorine is akin to a stick shift car, it keeps you in tune with the pool chemistry and it can be fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.