Switching from DE filter to sand filter

aselvan07

May 17, 2021
I have an oval above ground pool, about 25 X 16, around 10,000 gallons. I have been using the Hayward perflex DE filter (I believe EC 40), that the previous owners had left. I have been struggling with getting some debris out, so I had someone come help clean the pool. He recommended that I change the pump, which I did (Hayward power flo matrix 1hp). Upon inspecting the filter he recommended I change it also. My question is - I'm thinking of getting the Hayward proseries sand filter. Is it a good replacement? I have always found the DE filter to be a bit messy.

Thanks,
Arun

Welcome to TFP :)

Do you like how clear the water is with the DE filter? If so you will not like the sand filter as it is the least filtering ability out of all of the filters... They are the easiest filter... They backwash just like the DE filter but you do not lose the sand like you lose the DE...

With that said you can also use DE in a sand filter to get better cleaning ability if you wanted...

I love a cartridge filter, clean it once a year and call it good, no backwash, no DE, no sand... No wasting water

Whatever filter you get get the biggest one you can afford, the bigger the better.. :)

Thanks for the quick response.
"Do you like how clear the water is with the DE filter?"
- Yes, I do :) . Ok, I just looked at the Hayward EC 50 AC, seems to be a good replacement. I also looked at Hayward W3C500 Star-Clear Cartridge Filter, 50 sq ft . Will this be suitable for the pump, and any idea how good it is? Also, I heard cartridge filters are more expensive than DE, but this one was almost half of the cost of Hayward EC 50 AC.

I have a 320 sq ft cartridge filter for my 15k pool. 50 sq ft is not recommended... DE is way smaller than cart.. :)

We always recommend the biggest you can afford.. the bigger the better.. need to clean less, less pressure, less headache, less backwash.. less everything except the one big one... The cost :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.