Switch from regular chlorine to Salt water?

FinallyIGetaPool

Aug 28, 2019
Sacramento CA
I just bought a home that has an inground pool built around 1996. I think most of the equipment is original and all is in need of replacement. I am considering doing a salt water conversion to ease up on the harsher chemicals and figure if I were to ever do it, now is the time. Pros? Cons? Has anyone here gone through this and can share their experience?

I am researching variable speed pumps, cartridge filters, heaters... the whole shebang. I figure the pool will need to be resurfaced soon too, but am hoping I can hold off another year or two to spread out the costs a bit.

I love my Saltwater Generator. I would not be without it.
Pros -
- your pool doesn't depend on YOUR schedule or availability to stay chlorinated properly.
- eliminates the posibility of climbing Cyanauric Acid in the pool from using chlorine pucks. Too high CYA means you have to drain and refill the pool, at least partially
- eliminates continuous trips to the store to stock up on liquid chlorine.

Cons -
Initial up front investment
Cell Replacement cost

If you size the SWG properly the SWG cell should last on average, 5 to 7 years. They do wear out and need replacement, or maybe it will just fail earlier. It happens. You should size the SWG at least 1.5x however many gallons of water are in your pool. So in your case, a 40K SWG system would be recommended.

If you ammortize the initial investment over a 5 to 7 year period though, the cost of SWG pool vs a non SWG pool is pretty much a wash.

Variable Speed Pump - I have one of those too.
Pros, Extremely energy efficient and quiet. IMO, The programmable functions add value also. Many utility companies offer rebates if you get a Variable Speed Pump.
Cons. Again, initial investment, and the replacement cost should it fail outside of warranty.

Cartridge Filter - I have one of those too!
One note. No matter which type of filter you decide on, invest in the largest you can afford. The larger they are, the less often you have to clean them. There is no such thing as a filter that is too big.

Pros - You dont have to back wash them. Backwashing Sand or DE filters means loosing a lot of water during that process. Maybe as much as 300-400 gallons and that much water has to be put back into the pool when the backwash is finished. In some parts of the country, replacing that water can be expensive.

Cons - None as far as Im concerned.

I hope this helps, and Im sure others will chime in too.

Last edited:
I am same as Dave, have a SWCG, a VS pump, and cartridge filter.

One statement you made,
doing a salt water conversion to ease up on the harsher chemicals
is not true. The chemicals used for a SWCG or a pool using liquid chlorine are the same. You will still add CYA, muriatic acid, and chlorine. With the SWCG, you add salt too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.