Swimming pool vacuum hose question

amin36

In The Industry
Nov 24, 2017
shahsavar
Guys,

When it comes to swimming pool vacuum hoses there is always a rotating cuff in the end and another fixed cuff in the other end.

I am wondering what the reason for this rotating end is.

Why do we ever need one rotating end?
Why is it not fixed like the other end?

Thanks.

It depends on the cleaner. For Pentair, their segemented hose sections are all fixed and the rotation occurs at the vacuum robot head. Other brands of cleaners don’t have a rotatable connection and rely on the hose to do that. Without rotation at the cleaning head, the vacuum would never be able to turn as the fixed hose would keep it pointed in one direction.

Reactions: amin36
It depends on the cleaner. For Pentair, their segemented hose sections are all fixed and the rotation occurs at the vacuum robot head. Other brands of cleaners don’t have a rotatable connection and rely on the hose to do that. Without rotation at the cleaning head, the vacuum would never be able to turn as the fixed hose would keep it pointed in one direction.
Thanks but i was addressing manual vacuuming

Thanks but i was addressing manual vacuuming

Most manual vacuum heads, at least the ones sold in the US, have a rotating connector on them. The hose may or may not have rotatable connectors. Rotation is absolutely necessary or else when you move around a pool perimeter the hose will coil up and kink.

Reactions: Newdude and amin36
Thanks @JoyfulNoise and @Newdude .

So can this be concluded that in order to stop forming kinks and coiling-ups the swivel end cuff should not be tightened firmly and should be tightened in loosely?

I am asking this because in my experience over tightened swivel cuffs lead to kinks and coiling-ups in the hose.

So can this be concluded that in order to stop forming kinks and coiling-ups the swivel end cuff should not be tightened firmly and should be tightened in loosely?
I'm not following. Here in the states, the vac head coupler spins freely and doesn't tighten/loosen and the hose is a glued connection.
I am asking this because in my experience over tightened swivel cuffs lead to kinks and coiling-ups in the hose.
If it's not spinning freely, or as freely as it can without grease or bearings, then the hose will be more prone to kink.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.