Swim with dead algae?

parteecia

Aug 6, 2012
Upland, CA
After SLAMming, my pool is holding FC, CC is below 0.5 but the water is only clear when I turn off the filter and let the dead algae settle for a couple of days. My overmatched filter is making little progress, and that's after brushing the walls and changing cartridges 3-4 times a day for a week.

I cannot drain and refill because I live in a water restricted area.

Is it safe to swim? I've never gotten sick in the ocean or lakes or rivers.

Would a flocculant help?

You have not passed the most important criteria for a SLAM, crystal clear water. It would be wise to continue the SLAM Process

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

A cartridge filter will trap dead algae. Keep circulating, brushing, and maintain your SLAM level FC.

Reactions: parteecia
Technically the water is clear if I let the dead algae precipitate out. At the current rate of filtration I will not get to swim if I wait until there's none left. That's why I'm wondering if dead algae is any more dangerous than what's in the ocean or a lake.

You are vacuuming and brushing at least once a day? Above ground pools do take more effort to get the particulates to the filter.

You can swim as long as you can see the bottom of the pool.

If you add flocculant, you will be draining the pool. You have no means to vac to waste, and you must leave the pump off for several days to get it all to settle.

Technically the water is clear if I let the dead algae precipitate out.
You need to be able to rescue a disabled swimmer on the bottom. Or someone possibly be able to find you. It's a swimmer safety issue, not a why is the water cloudy issue.

Algae is unsightly but harmless. As said above, swimming is safe from minimum FC to SLAM, if you can see well enough to rescue someone, God forbid.

You need to be able to rescue a disabled swimmer on the bottom. Or someone possibly be able to find you. It's a swimmer safety issue, not a why is the water cloudy issue.

Algae is unsightly but harmless. As said above, swimming is safe from minimum FC to SLAM, if you can see well enough to rescue someone, God forbid.
Thank you! I live alone and it's just me using it for tethered swimming and it's less than 4 feet deep. So if something happens to me 1. they can follow the rope and 2. it would most likely be too late anyway.

I filter and vacuum to cartridges and then rinse them out and reuse. It has crossed my mind that I may be using more water rinsing than I would refilling but I continue nevertheless.

Reactions: Newdude
How are you filtering, just through the skimmer?

If it is settling to the bottom of the pool, you should be able to just use a manual vacuum to get it out, that's usually the fastest. You seem to have a suction cleaner, have you tried that?

Flock wouldn't really do much here. All that flock does is clump small particles together so they sink to the bottom, where they have to be vacuumed to waste with a manual vacuum.

In your case, the dead algae already sinks to the bottom on its of own, nothing to gain with flock, but much to lose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.