Swim goggles/gear for youth swim team

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
My 5 year old son starts swim team tomorrow and having a pool in our back yard is getting his skills an early kick-start. He had a pair of TYR Magna mask goggles which worked great but the strap recently broke and I made the mistake of getting him the same pair in small (not youth) so they don't fit. Today I took my first trip to the pool store in well over a year and bought him TYR Orion mask goggles for $22.

Anyone have any recommendations for competition goggles for kids? Since he is only 5, I'm thinking the mask/goggles hybrid will work best instead of the individual eye sockets. Also, at what age should I get him wearing jammers, instead of baggy swim trunks, and a swim cap? The coach said he just needs good goggles for now since the focus is on learning the strokes properly.

Doesn’t look like we have any competitive swimmers here. How did he do on the first swim sessions?

Thanks for checking in and since everyone on TFP has a pool and many have kids, I assumed parents of competitive youth swimmers would be common. Many people have asked me over the years how my son became such a good swimmer and my reply is usually "we just have a pool and can't keep him out of it". At only 3 years old he could swim the length of our pool freestyle and also dive down to the drain at 8ft to get toys so he is a natural. We have paid for lessons from an actual coach of an on the past year but most of his foundation it self-taught. His brother is 8-months old now so we will get him in swim lessons in the Spring for a head start and for safety reasons.

The first swim team practice was not quite what we were hoping for as my son was the youngest one there and he was intimidated. He was likely expecting a pool party while swimming some laps and they spent the first 30 minutes on the kickboards without actually swimming any strokes. That's not going to hold a 5 year old's attention. I'm still hunting for the right pair of goggles for him as the two pair of kids goggles I bought don't fit his face right. I suppose it is because he has a big head and needs goggles made for a 10 year old.

I was about that age when my dad dropped me off for my first swim practice. My older brother could swim. I could probably dog paddle. About the only thing I remember is nearly drowning in the lane against the wall with all the waves everyone else was making. Nobody had goggles. Nowadays kids are equipped like pro athletes. Marketing and peer pressure at its best.

Whew, the bar is open...sorry for the rant. Good luck to your son! Swimming is a fantastic sport, team and individual lessons to be learned.

I held off on this one, dunno why, but the main question was whether to get regular goggles vs an eyes and nose goggles.

If it's swim team, he needs speed. The eyes and nose goggles aren't going to accomplish that due to drag.

I realize he's 5. But he'll learn a lot on the team about competing, and proper goggles promote speed (reduce drag). Speed is what wins.

And when the time comes for flippers, the same brand was really good quality at a good price also. We went through several brands before finding these. They are nearly indestructible. You won’t need them for the kids to swim, but they will want them for fun.

Reactions: frogabog
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.