SWG with VS PUMP

Hagefamily

Jun 4, 2012
I have always had a fixed 2HP pump which is on its way out so I’m considering a variable speed pump.

Does having a variable speed pump affect the way you need to run your SWG? Do you need to increase the percentage runtime for the SWG or run the pool more hours to ensure enough chlorine is generated?

H,

About the only downside to having a SWCG is that you might have to run the pump longer. This is why having a VS pump is great. You can run 24/7 if you want and the cost is next to nothing. Most SWCGs turn on at very low RPMs.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Does having a variable speed pump affect the way you need to run your SWG? Do you need to increase the percentage runtime for the SWG or run the pool more hours to ensure enough chlorine is generated?
You will find that the large number of SWCG and VSP owners here run their pump on a low RPM, 24/7. This allows constant FC addition and lower electrical consumption (less $$). I run 24/7, 1600RPM (about 200W or two lightbulbs, less than 20$ per month).

Last edited:
If you don't have automation, the other good thing about 24x7 VSP operation is that you don't need to worry (much) about the cell being on when the pump isn't. Though the cell's flow sensor _should_ shut it down during lo/no flow conditions, relying on that is not a good idea. The AquaPure manual says explicitly not to do it. Why? The cell generates hydrogen gas, which isn't a problem if there's flow, but becomes a big one if not. You don't want a Hindenburg happening in your back yard.

I have always had a fixed 2HP pump which is on its way out so I’m considering a variable speed pump.

Assuming you get a properly sized SWCG (rated for 2X your pool size), having a variable speed pump will be fine.

An advantage to the variable speed pump is that you can run it much longer at lower speed than you can the fixed speed pump and still spend less on electricity.

I'll toss filtering into the ring also. Running 24/7 for over a decade, I have never once wondered if I was filtering enough, or whether I needed 4 hours or 16 hours. I was just covered and that was that.

My FC is topped off around the clock and 98% of anything light that falls into the pool finds the skimmers because it doesn't have 8 to 16 hours to get waterlogged and sink.

All good advice and experience. Thank you!

Next I have to figure out how to buy the proper VS pump for my pool. Pool place says $2700 for a VS Pump plus $400 install which seems insane.

First, wanted to say thank you to the folks on this forum that have been so helpful this year - and prior years. Helped save a ton of $$$, keep my pool sparkling, and avoid the unnecessary junk chemicals in my pool.

This year my 9 year old 2HP Jandy Pro Series Plus HP (single speed) is screaming since startup. Works fine but clearly on its last life.

Got one pool company quoting $2700 for a Jandy Variable Speed replacement PLUS $400 installation.

Helps me out folks —— never replaced the pump but I figure with your help I can buy a good model and do it myself.

I have a SWG and Waterfall for a 33k gallon pool.

Thank you in advance for your help! Maybe this thread will help others too.

First, wanted to say thank you to the folks on this forum that have been so helpful this year - and prior years. Helped save a ton of $$$, keep my pool sparkling, and avoid the unnecessary junk chemicals in my pool.
If you found value, you might consider becoming a supporter. As a 503c, supporters are the ones that keep the lights on...

Reactions: Sn00py

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great. So you have many options. There are lower cost options, such as a Calimar 2.7hp VS. Many vendors have it priced at under $600. You likely will need to do some plumbing.

Or there are a multitude of other options. If warranty is of concern for you, then you likely need to concentrate on getting a pump from a local supplier and have it installed professionally. You know what that will likely cost.

This year my 9 year old 2HP Jandy Pro Series Plus HP (single speed) is screaming since startup. Works fine but clearly on its last life.

Got one pool company quoting $2700 for a Jandy Variable Speed replacement PLUS $400 installation.

Helps me out folks —— never replaced the pump but I figure with your help I can buy a good model and do it myself.

I have a SWG and Waterfall for a 33k gallon pool.

Thank you in advance for your help! Maybe this thread will help others too.
Maybe show us a picture of your equipment pad from different angles.

Do you have automation by Jandy? You have all major components by Jandy but did not list any automation.

Where are you located as that drives prices.

I have received some advertisements from local pool companies that are offering discounts on pumps, heaters, etc for Memorial Day.

Also if you check out Polytec they have a wide assortment of pumps.

We can talk you through the install if you wish to DIY.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.