SWG wiring and timer questions

Pelly

Aug 20, 2020
Birmingham, AL
I am planning to purchase the RJ45 before the $1 upgrade sale ends on 8/24. I have a couple of questions that I haven't quite wrapped my brain around yet and it's holding me up from pulling the trigger.

1) i have a vertical run that I think will work for the cell. I'll post a few pics. Is there any reason this is not a good location?

2) Currently my pump timer is not working. trying to diagnose the issue - clock seems to move but get stuck at the on and off switches. In other words the timer stops at which ever switch is next until I move it past that switch and then the timer stops again at the next switch. Any suggestions? I'm guessing I just need to replace the mechanism and it seems the model has been discontinued. I'm open to suggestions for replacement or repair.

3) wiring: I understand the SWG needs to turn on ideally 15 min after and shut off 15 min before the pump. If my timer is repairable, and it is acceptable for the SWG and pump to turn on/off together instead of the 15 min lag, how would I wire the swg to the timer? If the timer is not repairable or it just makes more sense, what timer would be cost effective and work best in my situation? See attached pictures. There is a second breaker and switch in my system for a polaris which we don't have/plan to buy. Would it make more sence to have a second time for the swg set up from the polaris breaker? Or is that an added expense that is unnecessary?

Thanks so much for any input! I'm a diyer for many things but a newbie to DIYing pool stuff. After an algae bloom and doing a SLAM last month to fix it, I'm sold on TFP! You all are a help and resource.

Attachments

• pool electrical panel.jpg
    pool electrical panel.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 15
  • pool electrical panel.jpg
    pool electrical panel.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 15
you can wire the SWG and the pump together so they turn on and off together.. As for the timer it sounds like you would need to replace it...

I know nothing about this one but I love to tinker so I would try it out :)

this one has a 7 day timer in it

And I think this one will directly replace the one you have

Hope this helps :)

P,

If you have a single speed pump you wire the pump and the SWCG to the same timer.. With that configuration, there is no need for an overlapping schedule.

The whole point is to make sure the SWCG never gets power if the pump is not running..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks you all so much for the info. Just to clarify the wiring - when you say “wire together” it means the pump and the swg will each have a wire on terminal load 2. They will also each have a wire on terminal load 4. Correct? Sorry if it’s a silly question...just want to make sure.
bonesy - do you mind sending a pic of the actual wiring in your box? A picture is worth a thousand words! :). Thanks you guys for your responses.
pelly

I found the wiring diagram for the swg install - got it! One more question if anyone can advise. I see that the swg cell is suppose to be installed as the last piece of equipment before the water goes back into the pool. Because of my plumbing and equipment set up I don’t see a way to put the cell after the heater. Will there be an issue installing the cell after the pump but before the heater? I have a bypass for the heater so I can potentially bypass the heater except when It is running. Why is the cell supposed to be place last?

needs to be last, It is creating chlorine and can kill you heater if it ran through it... Can you do one like mine and go up instead, it works with both types.. :)

Yes, I have my SWG wired to the same leads in the Intermatic timer that powers my pump ... So when the pump comes on so does the SWG controller. sounds like you got it figured out. The 15 min afet the pump starts and 15 min before the pump stops is for those that have VSP that have thier own embedded timers. In that case you would need an second external timer to control the SWG "within" the schedule of the pumps timer.

Can you send a pic of your return lines after the heater. Vertical installs are easy to do if you have limited room... and if you have an old puck feeder in there, you can replace that with your new fancy dancy SWG.

I don’t think I can - what if I bypass the heater when the swg is on and have a second switch for the swg so that when we run the heater running the swg is not on? or perhaps i could remove the chlorinator and do a vertical install there? not sure there is enough room though.

Attachments

• pool heater and return.jpg
    pool heater and return.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My situation is a little different as my pump is 240v and my Aquarite Pro is 110v. So my timer is wired 240v with 12/3 romex to a two pole gfi breaker. The neutral goes from the breaker and passes through the timer box to the Aquarite Pro unit so it gets 110v from one of the 240 lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.