SWG water "feels" better....if true why?

JonoVegas

Oct 6, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Looking to put in a SWG system and been doing my usual research of trying to separate fact from fiction, on every little item.

A common compliment of SWG systems is most everyone say it feels better and I have heard two explanations for that so curious as what current SWG owners experience.

1) Do SWG pools "feel" better?
2) Is it because of the salt? Some people seem to say the human body has x amount of salt to being in a SWG pool makes the water "feel" better
3) Also read that SWG pools have less CL in water than non-SWG pool or perhaps they were saying less "harsh" CL but that position seems flawed.

Thx for sharing

J,

It has to do with the salt. Makes the water feel "silky".. I do not know technically why.. I doubt it has anything to do with FC levels, as I run my pool hotter than normal and closer to the non-SWCG numbers.. Before switching to a SWCG, I always felt like I needed a shower when I got out of the pool... After switching to saltwater, when I get out of the pool, I feel like I just got out of the shower..

A lot of people have added salt to their pools just for the feel and never added a salt cell.

I would not change to saltwater just for the feel, but it is there.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jono,

I didn't switch for improved feel and I'm not sure why but the salt water definitely feels better to me. All the kids and grandkids seem to like it better too. Say it doesn't burn their eyes as much as before. More importantly my wife likes it better than I do. She says it feels like a spa... maybe they use salt too? When we just had a chlorine pool she would complain her feet itched after a while . Never happens with salt pool.

Chris

I had a SWG pool for a while, and then my SWG board died. I did manually chlorination with bleach for 3 years until I was sick of it, and just recently installed a new SWCG. I loved the feel of the pool before, then forgot how it felt until recently. The salt water does make the water feel softer and more silky. Also, the ability to more easily keep the water properly chlorinated means there are few chloramines I think since algae is much less likely to ever get a start. There is no chlorine smell to the water at all if properly maintained. Yes you can do that with manual chlorination, but miss a day or two in the hot summer and it's easy to get out of line.

Also, I find that my PH is more stable when using a SWG. That might seem counterproductive, but to me it's because the maintenance is easier. I'm more more likely to spend time balancing PH daily when I don't have to also balance FC, along with CH and TA weekly. Not having to constantly make runs to the store for large quantities of bleach just takes so much stress out of it all.

This site promotes SWG as the easiest way to maintain proper chlorination for a reason. It's hard to describe until you experience it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.