Nashville
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I had a SWG installed about a week ago. I had no idea that my CYA should be so high with a SWG until I read some blog posts here. I also wasn't told by the pool guy that an SWG would push my PH up. I kept wondering why it seemed to be going higher.

Here's where it gets unusual. My daughter (4yo) has eczema and she's allergic to everything. There's zero fragrance in our house. The National Eczema Society suggests a pool PH & CH on the low side to prevent excessive dryness. So a few days ago I drained & refilled about 6" of water to reduce CH that was previously at 390. My CYA was previously about 49.

Here's today's numbers:
TA 100
PH 7.8
FC 7
CC 0
CYA less than 30. I can still see the dot when the tube is full
CH 250

I'm a bit shocked that the CYA is so low. Clearly I need to add stabilizer.

I'd like to get the CH down to 100 since I have a vinyl pool, but the CYA needs to be pushed up to at least 60 according to what I read today and my TA & PH need to come down. What should I do first?

Add 20 ppm worth of CYA and see where that gets you.

Adjust pH to 7.4. The SWCG is not raising your pH. With a TA of 100, your pH will naturally rise. How did you chlorinate the pool before you got the SWCG?

What is your fill water CH? It may be difficult to get to a low CH if your fill water has any calcium in it.

10% Liquid, but only for about a week while I was in the SLAM trying to get rid of mustard algae. Tablets before that.

My CYA started out at 105 and Leslies had me displace enough water to get it down to 49. That was before I found TFP.

I just tested my tap water. I assume the spigot would measure the same since it's the same source. CH is 80 coming in.

When you used tablets, you were constantly adding acid as trichlor is acidic. So that kept your pH from rising.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.