SWG stopped .....again

pollyAnna

Jul 15, 2019
Princeton NJ
Hi
Two weeks ago I got a low salt message on my SWG and no chlorine production. I did a test confirmed salt level was fine. I then took the generator apart to clean the cell - I did acid wash 1pt muriaric acid 4pt water (I did not see any bubbles?) Put it all back together and everything was great - for 2 weeks. Now I see the same warning lights and cl level has dropped low so no generation.
Any suggestions? I think my cell is 3 or 4 years old.

OK -- with your system, the SWCG does not calculate a salinity. It is set up the same as a Hayward Aquarite. So the reported salinity by the SWCG system is created via the amps and voltage the system is using.

Does your system have a screen that states what it thinks the salinity is, or just a light?

The following is from the Hayward Aquarite Wiki -- see if you can get this information
This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing a problem:
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?

The following is from the Hayward Aquarite Wiki -- see if you can get this information
This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing a problem:
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?
I think this covers all the questions
When off-
2300ppm salt
89f
25.8 volt
0.00 Amp
64% generating
0000 instant
Back to auto-
89f
23.3 volt
-3.83amp
2400ppm instant salinity
I don't have box & serial number pool side

Did drop test 3200pp.

So now it's showing to be working - could a simple turn off turn on be the fix??
It had stopped generating so if it's now showing as generating should I trust the reading? Previous experience tells me if the box says its generating then it is....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- let's check with one of our experts, but my thoughts are the cell is dying. It might work for awhile, but not long term. Instant Salinity of 2400 divided by actual salinity of 3200 is 0.75. At 0.7, the cell needs replacing.
@JamesW -- can you confirm for me?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.