SWG Start-up

Trele6

Silver Supporter
Aug 5, 2014
Katy, TX
So my plaster has now been installed for a little more than 4 weeks.

Should I even bother starting up the SWG for the first time during the winter months and just go Chlorine until it warms up?

I believe I read somewhere that the SWG doesn't even make chlorine below 60 degrees IIRC?

I do live in South Texas, so while it is in the 50-60's today, tomorrow could easily be 80's+. The weather does this from now until February I would say.

Thanks!

In Katy, would be up to you. Air temperature has little effect. It is the pool water temperature that matters.

You do not say what brand/model/type of SWCG you have (please add to your signature if you would) so not sure at what temperature your cell will stop producing. Most are +/-60F. Your chlorine demand will drop to very low amounts soon if not already there.

I would suggest just using bleach until March or so --

Take care.

I have the FusionSoft 1400 which I think is essentially the same thing as your PCL 1400 (accept with a gimmicky mineral cartridge which I don't use). I went back and forth with this too. I decided I wanted to swim in the saltwater anyway since I had never done that. Once the salt level was in, it is a simple thing to turn on the SWCG. I say go for it!

Not to hijack but to add on to the original question as it seems related.

Any issues with adding the salt and still using bleach until the spring or should one hold off on adding salt until it will be used by the SWG?

Thanks.

No issues adding salt now. If you get winter rain storms that overflow your pool you will lose some salt.

Be sure to follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for your FC requirements during the winter.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.